Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend tells me he is going to buy a AR15, but he says they are now known as a m-6, or m-4. What is he talking about? I'm sorry. but thats all I know.

Doc

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I don't know what hea's talking about either, Doc.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
No. your right they are using A2's A3's and A4's. But, as far as I'm concerned, an AR-15 is an AR-15.

·
Registered
725 Posts
m-4

The M-4 is the carbine version of the M-16 in use by the military. It has the telescopic adjustable buttstock, and removable carry handle. A lot of them have the modular handguards to mount a foregrip and lights, etc.... The civilian model is still the AR-15 though.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I've seen civilian "M-4's" before. Just the same, but semi-auto only.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Yeah, you're right, I've seen them too, but I think somehow they still have to have the AR designation somewhere in the model number to denote that it is non-military. I have a Bushmaster XM-15E2, which is basically a semi-auto M-16A2, but they had to get around calling it what it really is for the Brady Bill. (I know it's expired, but unfortunately I live in Commie NY, and they retained most if not all of the provisions of the Brady Bill).

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
The Bushmaster AR-15 I just bought was modeled after the M-4. M-4 was part of the description when I ordered it...A.H

·
PUKHA DAWG
3,799 Posts
AR-15 is the civilian designation (meaning semi-auto only version) for the M-16 rifle.

·
Banned
50 Posts
Yes the M-4s are the carbine versions. They developed them during or after samolia. The soldiers were complaining that the m16 was not ideal for close quaters battle while sweeping houses in the city. So the m-4 was developed to fill this demand. Telescoping stock, shorter barrel, and possibly some picatiney rails also.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
M4 is the 16'' barrel carbine version of the m16.
Here is one of mine
[/IMG]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts