Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

First time poster with a quick question.
I purchased a Bushmaster modular carbine one month ago (skeleton stock, no flash suppressor).
bushmaster.com/catalog_xm15_BCWVMF16FMC.asp

I have put 300 rounds through the gun, and cleaned it after each outing.

For unforeseen reasons, I now have to sell the rifle. My question is this: If I sell it back to the shop where I bought it, what would be a fair price range I should expect?

BTW, I paid about 1400 new for it, and still owe money on the credit card, so I would like to sell it for enough to at least cover a large amount of that cost.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
980 Posts
i would defenitly sell to a private party the gun shop will short you then jackup the price and resale it.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
I see the MSR is over $1600+.That gives you wiggle room.If you have time I would advertise in the paper or try to sell on the internet on an auction site.But I would definitly go to the dealer and give him a chance.He may not want to offer a lot but may know someone that will.At any rate I cant see asking less than $1200. sam.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I doubt the gunshop you give you more than $800 for it....because they would have to resell it and make a profit. You would do better to sell it to another individule.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Your best bet would be to go for a private sale... try putting a classified on gunsamerica.com, if no one bites and you need to sell it immediatly, then go for the shop.

·
Registered
978 Posts
And remember, even though you only put a few hundred rounds through it, it's now a used gun and the dealer has to sell it as such. I am not sure what mark up is on new and used guns...but one of my dealers offered me $75 for a Ruger MK II handgun in the same kind of condition that you are talking about. He sells them for around $200. I gave it to my brother. Sell private sale if you can.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info everyone. Thats exactly what I was looking for. Ill see what the dealer has to say, and then post it up on a site and see what happens.

Thanks again, it is much appreciated!

·
Registered
978 Posts
Make sure that if you do not personally know the purchaser that you do the transfer through an FFL dealer! Also, make sure that the transfer follows any state or local laws where you are. Don't just sell the gun to a guy who shows up with cash...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just got off the phone with my local dealer. He said that he would give me $400 for the rifle. Needless to say, I declined.
I am in PA right now, so I think that I will try the paper and a couple of online forums and see how things go.
Anyone want to make an offer?:)

If I am selling in person, is there a way to verify that the buyer can legally own the gun?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Make sure that if you do not personally know the purchaser that you do the transfer through an FFL dealer! Also, make sure that the transfer follows any state or local laws where you are. Don't just sell the gun to a guy who shows up with cash...
When you go through an FFL, they will make sure everything is done legally for sure because they are now somewhat liable, they will probably charge you a small fee though.

I know GA has a function on their website to search for local FFL's, I couldn't say for anyone else.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
The trouble with advertising in the paper is you are telling where a desireable firearm is and leaving yourself open to a possible breakin.Better to contact an FFL first and deal through him if possible. sam.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Yup I agree with Samuel. Also I am afraid that you will really have to bide your time to get a large amount for your AR. I am not saying they are not worth it but most ppl can't just drop 1100 on a rifle like that. I think that figure is what you can expect to receive. I would start out asking 1400. Perhaps 1500. I would never take less than the 1100 mentioned. That's what I can get a used Bushy like that around here for.

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
My depressing input - the more you spend on an AR, the lower the rate of return. If that money was worth it to you to spend in the first place, I'd strongly suggest holding onto the rifle. If you want a good idea of what prices you're competing with, go to Welcome to Model 1 Sales' Online Order Center and put together the prices for a kit with similar features. Add about $100 for a stripped lower and that's what people can get it for. The fact that it's all Bushmaster factory brings the value up, the fact that it's pre-owned brings it back down, so consider that a solid reference point. Again, don't be afraid to keep the rifle. You may turn out better in the end than if you sell it and then buy another when funds are better.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the advice everyone. While I would love nothing more than to keep the rifle, circumstances just will not permit it.

Can anyone recommend a forum or area where I can post something like this for sale?

I didnt see a specific board on this site for items that are for sale, but I might have missed it.

I hope that this is not against the rules, but -I am trying to sell the rifle for 900$. If anyone here is interested, or wants to make an offer, please feel free to message me.

I can get pictures, etc if anyone is truly interested.

Thanks for your help in advance!

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Thanks for the advice everyone. While I would love nothing more than to keep the rifle, circumstances just will not permit it.

Can anyone recommend a forum or area where I can post something like this for sale?

I didnt see a specific board on this site for items that are for sale, but I might have missed it.

I hope that this is not against the rules, but -I am trying to sell the rifle for 900$. If anyone here is interested, or wants to make an offer, please feel free to message me.

I can get pictures, etc if anyone is truly interested.

Thanks for your help in advance!
AR15.com has a EE form, should sell at hat price.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
also gunbroker.com could help out in listing the firearm

·
Registered
26 Posts
Cant you just work extra hard and pay it off or do you really just want to sell it? I would just pay it off and have an awesome paid for gun, but that is just me.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Hi everyone,
First time poster with a quick question.
I purchased a Bushmaster modular carbine one month ago (skeleton stock, no flash suppressor).
bushmaster.com/catalog_xm15_BCWVMF16FMC.asp
I have put 300 rounds through the gun, and cleaned it after each outing.
For unforeseen reasons, I now have to sell the rifle. My question is this: If I sell it back to the shop where I bought it, what would be a fair price range I should expect?
BTW, I paid about 1400 new for it, and still owe money on the credit card, so I would like to sell it for enough to at least cover a large amount of that cost.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

I can tell you no gun store will give you a fair price for anything. The only way to sell is private.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts