Are all fixed-blade knives illegal in Oklahoma?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by JMcDonald, Jan 25, 2009.

1. JMcDonald

JMcDonald Suspended

I have a Gerber fixed-blade knife with a 4" blade that I'd really like to carry concealed sometimes. Though, it is my understanding (well I am not going to try to test it out) that all-fixed blade knives are illegal. The law is extremely vague on this.

Here is the exact knife, btw:
    Gerber Profile Drop Point with Sheath - #22-01795 : Gerber Knives - at Rocky National

What do you guys know? Or, do you know who I can call to find out (ATF maybe)?

Thanks.

2. milproakron

milproakron G&G Newbie

You would need to talk to a local cop or attorney to know for sure. But, I lived in Oklahoma for several years and most of my family still lives there. I don't think any of them ever are WITHOUT a knife of some kind. The statute you listed doesn't eliminate ALL fixed blade knives. Only certain types of knives are considered Bowie, and a dagger has to have a double sided blade or it isn't a dagger. Do some more research though, don't just take my understanding as law.. lol

My wife is an attorney and she went to law school at OU. She doesn't remember the exact law there, but says all of OKs statutes are online and you have to research them thoroughly. There will be changes and amendments and decisions on the books that have occured AFTER the statute was adopted that can change its meaning and restrictions.

3. JMcDonald

JMcDonald Suspended

Thanks for the reply.

Hmm ok I never knew what defined a "Dagger," but that makes sense now that I think of that (and look back at my ornamental dagger, heh). I will probably call the ATF tomorrow.

I probably won't ask any police officers as none of the ones either my father or I asked knew it was actually legal for a person under 21 to own a handgun.

Anyone else?

4. JMcDonald

JMcDonald Suspended

Called the PD today and got to talk to an attourney. He read the same statute I posted and did conclude that it would be legal for me to carry this. Then we talked about the machettes we carry when fishing and camping, hehe.

Funny thing. WHILE I was on the phone with the lawyer at the police department, just after I had strapped my knife on, a wierd, scruffy looking guy knocked on the door and asked for some sugar... Naturally I said I didn't have any... but MAN I can't wait to start carrying!

5. okmic1

okmic1 G&G Newbie

Our laws are so vague that most police seem to just be guessing about what's legal and what's illegal. It's going to be interesting if HB1414 passes and we get open carry in Oklahoma.

6. Rave

Rave G&G Evangelist

From what I have seen most local cops are not well versed in a lot of laws and feel safer saying something is illegal than putting themselves out on a limb and declaring something questionable as being legal.
    Probably the smart thing to do.

7. BaserRonin

BaserRonin G&G Evangelist

The city cops in my area are completely clueless about anything but speeding tickets. I once had a traffic stop take a weird turn because the officer didn't know a civilian COULD own a concealed permit in Colorado. Craziness ensued.

Good job getting the laws interpreted by a professional instead of taking as law what one of the Roving Tax Collectors spewed forth as gospel. Knife laws can be strange and difficult to interpret.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted