Are South African Issued Enfields Rare?

Discussion in 'Enfield Rifles' started by Anton, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Anton

Anton G&G Addict

Does anyone know how rare South African Issued Enfields are? There is one on Gunbroker that IS IMPORT Marked and they are asking $675.00. This seems high to me since it is an import marked rifle.
    Any opinions?

2. Anton

Anton G&G Addict

Oh, by the way, the auction number is 186042028

3. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Sounds high to me, but without more information that is just a guess. Do you have a link?

^^^
    I see the auction number now!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks.

4. TheJoker

TheJoker G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

IMHO...much too high. There's a gun shop in my home town that has a beautiful Long Branch dated 1945. He was asking $450 and I told him he was about $50 too high. It is in much better shape than # 186042028.

5. ChaZam

^^^

I agree with TheJoker.

6. That SA Long Branch is listed at twice it's value IMHO. It's just a 44 LB with the expedient bolt release. That seller has it listed as a MkI, it's a MkI*. Being a SA rifle at one time does not increase it's value to me. That seller is crazy high on all of his listings.

I have a all matching 44 LB with a matching bayonet that I have $240 in total. Started as a $100 sporter.

1944 LB before
    [​IMG]

1944 LB after
    [​IMG]

7. Anton

Anton G&G Addict

Thanks for the info. Is it possible to get an Enfield that is NOT import marked? Also, you guys seem to be saying $250-$350 is a reasonable range for a nice one but if they are import marked arent they worth much less?

8. A non-import marked will always attract a SMALL premium to a purist but remember its almost 50 years since the US Import mark was required so there will be an awful lot of them with the markings.

Would you not want one with Siam or South African markings as they are not 'original' to the rifle ?

View it a different way - Its another traceable chapter in the long life / history of the Enfield.

9. They're not rare round these parts. I have a BSA SMLE that is South African marked and I met its brother (serial No.s within a couple of hundred) on Short Siberia on Wednesday.

Having said that, it seems to be the case that SA looked after its rifles. All the ones that I see are in very good condition.

10. killsnapz

killsnapz G&G Evangelist

11. ChaZam

Anton, the importers have had to put their stamp on everything entering the country since the GCA 1968. A collector might pay a slight premium for an unmarked one. The mark is certainly not a deal breaker nor of much consequence monetarily.

12. SNO4MKI

SNO4MKI G&G Newbie

You cannot go wrong buying from Brian Dick. I have purchased slings to rifles and have never been disappointed.

13. killsnapz

killsnapz G&G Evangelist

For sure. I got my No1 Mk III wire wrap from him and he is a pleasure to deal with. Thats why I have no problem recomending him to anyone looking for an Enfield.

Michael

14. The only import marks that bother me are the billboard size marks on the side of the receiver. Most all early import marks are very small and applied to the end of the barrel.