Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not a reloader but would love to get into it. Have always wanted to get into it. I don't really shoot enough to justify the investment. Although I would like to shoot more too, I just don't. I don't know why.

Just wondering if the reloading supplies are starting to show back up yet? I know I can Google it just like you can, but I figure the you hardcore and regular reloaders would know. So, I figured I'd ask you guys.

I know ammo.is becoming more available, it's a little pricey but available at least online. Anyway just curious about the reloading stuff. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
I went by the Bass Pro in Oklahoma yesterday while visiting there. That had no reloading supplies. They did have lots and lots of ammo, more than I have seen in a year. I bought 5 boxes of Herters 380 for $21 a box. Lots of 9mm for $20 a box and seemed like lots of most handgun ammo. They also had lots of bulk 22 and looked like fully stock on rifle ammo. Lots of 223, 7.62 x 51, 7,62 x 54 and like calibers. I assume no limit because it was not behind the counter and they did not say there was one, but no primers or powder.

Primers is going to be the last to arrive. When everybody buys up their stash of factory ammo then I suspect they will offer primers. I was there about 1 pm and the gun counter had people lined up looking at handguns, so it is not over. Bass Pro has a big gun sale every August which is not here yet, but everything will go when the bargain hunters show up....the only time they have a decent price on guns.

Primers will still be hard to get because some of us will be buying huge lots for the stash. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
My 45 year experience in reloading. I started off with RCBS single stage press which I still use, along with a Lee single stage press. Friend of mine brought up a Lee 5 stage reloading press which I put together for him. Didn't like it and someone on this site said he had one and threw it against a stool. It takes time to reload but its like shelling pees.All you need is to get a single stage press and buy dies, etc. as time goes by. I was checking my brass stash and found a bog I bought at a LGS many years ago M1 carbine 100 rounds for $6.95.

·
Registered
109 Posts
My 45 year experience in reloading. I started off with RCBS single stage press which I still use, along with a Lee single stage press. Friend of mine brought up a Lee 5 stage reloading press which I put together for him. Didn't like it and someone on this site said he had one and threw it against a stool. It takes time to reload but its like shelling pees.All you need is to get a single stage press and buy dies, etc. as time goes by. I was checking my brass stash and found a bog I bought at a LGS many years ago M1 carbine 100 rounds for $6.95.
I started 47 years ago with the same set up..... RCBS Junior Press Reloading kit, turn key (press, dies, shell holder, 5-10 scale, Uniflow Powder Measure, case block, hand primer and case prep kit). I bought the pistol kit as the carbide dies were more expensive than the rifle dies and the kit was the same price, so I bought the dies and shell holder for the .30-'06 extra.

I want to say I walked out of there for a little less or a little more than a hundred dollar bill. And, like you, I still have that press!

Randie
Fort Smith, AR

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
Went to Sportsman’s tonight to check out a muzzleloader ( that Brown Bess video really got me thinking). The rifle was too expensive, but...

...they had a bunch of ammo! Several pallets worth, in fact. Picked up a few boxes of .45 acp.

Still almost twice as much as before this mess, but at least it’s available.

·
Registered
11,633 Posts
primers will return when the ammo orders have been filled.
powder is here and there, but expensive since the amount is restricted if you order online.

what really sucks about all this is i have given away more crap this go round than i ever have, and i will probably never have it replaced.

we all just need to be patient and wait this out, and then, just like last time, buy when it goes on sale.
i generally start a little cash savings stash during times like this and then wait and watch.
when it's available and stacked deep i drop the cash and pile stuff away without having to touch the savings or checking account.
1500 bucks will buy a lot of primers even when they are sitting at @150$ a sleeve, but they buy a lot more when those same sleeves of primers have a 25$ rebate, or are more like 23$ a brick.

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
Supplymunitions had 9mm s&b for 19.99/50 in latest email. Winchester white box was 20.49. Prices are going in the right direction anyways. Hello
A buddy of mine and his Dad own a small gun shop. They invested well over a $100,000 on ammo through this shortage so their customers could at least get ammo.

Problem is, they also had to pay ridiculous prices to secure the stocks. Their pricing reflects what they had to pay, as well.

So, in a nutshell, the son was telling me yesterday that if supplies come back quickly and prices drop quickly, they’re going to be way underwater on a lot of inventory- a significant amount of their debt.

It might get interesting.

·
Premium Member
10,160 Posts
I have been finally seeing all the muzzle loading supplies like primers, powerbelt 45 and 50 and more. Thing is powder is still hard to get sometimes. I am thinking reloading supplies will dwindle back just as long as we dont have another Covid shutdown or some other Chaos. Hopefully things will keep coming back slow. I see all the military surplus spam cans of ammo are back so its being imported quite a bit it looks. The common stuff like metal cases and some brass cased 7.62x39, 3006, and 5.56. Also I am seeing cans of 8mm, 303, 7.62x25 regularly online and its near the old prices. There is still some catching up on the commercial ammo before they sell reloading components I guess. How many of you have noticed so much of this odd ball brands of imported shotgun shells, slugs and buckshot lately. I saw some odd gauges a few days ago on sale and not just 16 and 28 gauge. It was like several gauges in the 30's. I myself ordered a case of 12 gauge #4 and slugs. $100 a 250 round case they are now and not bad.

·
Premium Member
13,445 Posts
A buddy of mine and his Dad own a small gun shop. They invested well over a $100,000 on ammo through this shortage so their customers could at least get ammo.

Problem is, they also had to pay ridiculous prices to secure the stocks. Their pricing reflects what they had to pay, as well.

So, in a nutshell, the son was telling me yesterday that if supplies come back quickly and prices drop quickly, they’re going to be way underwater on a lot of inventory- a significant amount of their debt.

It might get interesting.
That's why I did not invest in that manner. I only bought, literally, a few boxes at a time so I wouldn't take it in the short pants.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts