Ares Defense Shrike

Discussion in 'AR15' started by big shrek, Sep 19, 2010.

1. big shrek

big shrek G&G Evangelist

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_nryuspdlA&feature=related]YouTube - M16 BELTFED shrike[/ame]

Does one really need to say anything else?? ;)

2. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

Just another 5.56 !! I helped write the POI at Benning for introduction of the FN Bimini. It's original concept was a skid-mounted minigun for the BO 105 helicopter. It later came to us as the M249 SAW. Great concept for gaining fire superiority, but not much more. We can keep coming up with lighter, faster 5.56 delivery systems and they are just that. We need a larger caliber !!

3. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Evangelist

I saw this weapon on TV several years back and thought it would be pretty interesting to have.
    I hated the M249 as it just felt cheap and you could not push into the bipod like you could on the M-60. If you did it would collapse. The only thing that was better on the saw was the fact that it was lighter than the M-60. Oh yeah it was either magazine or belt fed so that was a plus over the M-60.

4. Darkfront

Darkfront G&G Evangelist

Good for suppression, but I wonder how it holds up to sustained fire. That barrel seems a bit short.

Also if it's Direct Impingement based on the AR/M16 gas system, then the ejection pattern is showing that it's overgassed. That'll end up being worse for wear in high volume shooting.

5. SwedeSteve

I had to go back and look again, I see what you are saying Darkfront.

6. cr107

cr107 G&G Newbie

I think it would be good for say, room clearing, or something where a high volume of fire (like a 250rnd belt vs a 30 round mag) would be needed in a small package.

Definitely good for keeping heads down.

7. SwedeSteve

Yep, once again fire suppression. Other than that, its another 5.56 toy !!

8. Well that's all machine guns are. Support by fire. I mean a squad automatic weapon is a squad automatic weapon. You can change it a million ways but in the end. It's main purpose is support by fire. Keep them suppressed while your buddy's move in.

9. jmp8927

jmp8927 G&G Evangelist

Looks like a piston system of some sort to me.

10. 9mmXDm

9mmXDm Suspended

I want one!

It looks very easy to control. Didn't look like a ton of raise in it at all.

11. Um, I've shot bot the SAW and 60 and I still drooled a bit while watching the video.

12. ^absolutely. a machine gun is a machine gun. throwing a wall of lead down range is fun no matter what kind of weapon it is.

13. TACAV

TACAV G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Just need to add some flip up sights or an optic on that top rail and your good to go lol.

14. Sprout47

Sprout47 G&G Enthusiast

Ya TACAV wtf was up with no optics?

And Steve why all the hate for the 5.56?