Gun and Game Forum banner

argentine mauser

35K views 47 replies 22 participants last post by  zorkbozz 
#1 ·
has anyone out there shot or owned a argentine mauser. I've got one and it was my first mauser rifle, but at the time i didn't know where to buy the ammo for it so I never shot it.

#3 ·
i own one and i rather like it myself.. fairly heavy, certainly wouldnt care to do battle with the thing, but its a good well built gun. i personally have a 1891 argentine and a gun shop carries the ammo about 2 hours away from here.. runs about 35 cents a round though so its not the cheapest thing to use, but if yours is like mine that wont really matter to you. mine has a nice dark reddish color to it and while im dont go out using it a lot, its definitely something worth hanging onto. got it for $10 at a garage sale and had to buy a bolt for it.. $30 and it already had been bent down rather than straight out, which wouldve cost another $20 normally or so im told. i dunno about you but i dont see them a whole lot either, so it may gain a bit of worth in a couple years.

-inuyasha

#4 ·
its more of a engineers carbine, really short rifle without the straight stock. i been thinking about putting it ona new wooden stock,tap it for a scope mount too because mine was cut downwhen I got it, plus the gun was free, my step dad gave it to me so you can't beat a free gun. Even though the gun stock is cut down, it still outweighs my k98, kinda funny.

#5 · (Edited)
inuyasha said:
and i rather like it... heavy...well built...$0.35/round................... got it for $10 at a garage sale no bolt.
-inuyasha
$10.......AAAHHHHHHH ! ! ! Excellent! Where do you sale at?
Years ago at GS found a Belgian Mauser 7X57 Guard Model. Asking $89. Excellent condition. Asked our gun-nut mechanic whom I respected his opinion, he said, thats an obsolete caliber. I passed not knowing squat about mausers then.
Now, I could KIKK him in where the sun don't shine! That was a TRUE Collectors Item

mm_christ said:
its more of a engineers carbine, really short rifle without the straight stock. i been thinking about putting it ona new wooden stock,tap it for a scope mount too because mine was cut downwhen I got it, plus the gun was free, my step dad gave it to me so you can't beat a free gun. Even though the gun stock is cut down, it still outweighs my k98, kinda funny.
mm_Christ
I'd see how it shoots before investing time, effort and money into it first.
My 1891 w/ground off crest shoots like crude even with Norma ammo. It's destin for the resale table some day.
FMJ

#7 ·
I have what apperars to be either a 1889 Belgin or a 1891 Argintine mauser in 7x57 I have had it 18 years and am just now getting arund to using it. I have removed the carbine sleeve over the barrel and glass bedded the stock.. I had it drilled and tapped for a scope two years ago. Will be working up a load next week.

#10 ·
todays memorial and I want to thank all the veterans, men and women that have served there country. And never forget the ones that laid down their lives for this country. Thank you to everybody on this website that is or at one time was in the service, I'm right behind you guys and girls that are on this forum

#14 ·
i personally prefer the turkish and romanian rounds. I've shot the yugo rounds and I didn't get good results, but I did with the other rounds. I read a "sgn" article about a guy scoping his k98. he tested all sorts of mil-surp 8mm rounds and his best results were with the turkish and romanian.

#18 ·
Owner of a 1909 Argentine Mauser... For Sale, possibly??

I currently own a 1909 Argentine Mauser that my grandfather gave to me as a gift. It's still the original calibre, yet i was told to convert to a 30-06. Don't know if I will go that route yet. I haven't looked hard enough for ammo for this thing but have found it quite a few times. I'm looking to possibly sell this rifle, any thought on what a decent condition one might be worth???:feedback: I have slight pitting in the barrel around the front end of the stock and the stock had been re-finished at one time but came out good. Any thoughts?? :feedback:

#20 ·
Well, if you remember I´m from Argentina...
I have one from germany original with the same number on the barrel, stock, bolt action, then this rifle was made here in military factories under licence... so ("FM" = FABRICACIONES MILITARES, or military factories in english) make the original ammo for the argentine Mauser actually, you must to try to find the importers of the firm in USA, I know that "FM" factory, export some of its materials to USA, Because the argentine FAL go to USA... for example the Argentine Hi - Power (from Browning), made in Argentina under licence, was imported to USA by "Albatross International, Inc. of California... like I could read in the "Guns´94, buyers guide), I don´´t know if this firm actually excist, but you can find the importers in this kind of magazines.... and you can find actual and original ammo for the rifle...the factory, only make the military type, full metall jacket, but you can change the point if you want to hunt with it ... sorry my english...lol

#21 ·
If the carbine is in good condition, don´t change the stock, because this kinds of rifles are dissapear of argentina, and now have a collecting value, the betters ones were imported to Europe and USA, because for the type of change, were cheaps... i can find one (infantry modell) without use in U$S 750, in year 2001, but now this rifle cost here more than U$S 1.000, (original and in excellent condition, like mine), in the past you find argentine mausers till in the pet shop, but now it is difficult to find one in well conditions, the bolt action (for make another rifle), bought by the army like reposition, are sale alone in U$S 250 now....

#22 ·
I did get some Hornaday mfg brass from Buffalo Arms approx $23 for 50 cases
I still have to hunt up more componets yet do have quite a bit of IMR 3031
I came by a 1891 Argentine that was given to me, was sporterized awhile back still all matching #'s but it was a bush gun and show's allot of heavy field wear & tear on the outside it wears a williams receiver peep and has a very sweet feel to it and should be a awsome off hand shooter in how it mounts.

#24 ·
Yes, I own and hunt with the great 7.65mm Arg Mauser. Excellent ballistic, moderate recoil, and light weight. Ammo is Hi$ but can be reloaded from mil brass that is Boxer primed. 150gr SP is great hunting load for deer. I and my son shot our first deer with it. The gun was my father's (he shot numerous deer) and he sporterized it some what and I finished it with a scope and new stock.

#25 · (Edited)
Had traded a Husqvarna (Lahti)M1940 hand gun for a 1909 carbine that was chamberd out to 30-06 it dident come with the carbine stock, had a very crude sporterized K98 laminated military stock, surface pitting was extensive (Costal boat gun) removed the L shaped hanger bracket (solderd) from the muzzle and refinished the finish, managed to refinish the stock to a more presentable condition, hat it for four years and accumilated several boxes of ammo but never fired it, sold it for $275. a local fella still has it.

One note : the 7.65 uses a .312?? bullet so if you chamber a 1909 to .30-06 that uses a .308 diameter bullet the 30-06 conversion would work but not well as it should.

#26 ·
Yes, I own and hunt with the great 1891 7.65mm Arg Mauser. Excellent ballistic, moderate recoil, and light weight. Ammo is Hi$ but can be reloaded from mil brass that is Boxer primed. 150gr SP is great hunting load for deer. I and my son shot our first deer with it. The gun was my father's (he shot numerous deer) and he sporterized it some what and I finished it with a scope and new stock.:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.