Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,763 Posts
Hi there and welcome to Gun & Game. I have several of the type 99 7.7 Cal. rifles. Two of mine have the Mum also and one has the aircraft sights. Now you say the stock is cracked? Is it cracked or wood separated? The Japanese made their stocks with pieced together wood..It can be glued and clamped if so. Yes it is not worth buying a stock at the prices they ask. Also many times one stock will not fit on another rifle as the different arsenals made them different. Need to find the same series and arsenal and its like impossible. I see you do some fishing there too.

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi there and welcome to Gun & Game. I have several of the type 99 7.7 Cal. rifles. Two of mine have the Mum also and one has the aircraft sights. Now you say the stock is cracked? Is it cracked or wood separated? The Japanese made their stocks with pieced together wood..It can be glued and clamped if so. Yes it is not worth buying a stock at the prices they ask. Also many times one stock will not fit on another rifle as the different arsenals made them different. Need to find the same series and arsenal and its like impossible. I see you do some fishing there too.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,763 Posts
Do you have a better picture of the whole rifle? I'm curious about what looks like a metal piece on the nose of the stock.
That is the bracket that the Monopod hooks to. Most of the wire monopods were taken off of the rifles in combat because of in the way. Someone cut the stock off right in front of it.

·
Registered
20,319 Posts
That is the bracket that the Monopod hooks to. Most of the wire monopods were taken off of the rifles in combat because of in the way. Someone cut the stock off right in front of it.
It almost looks like there is another piece of metal there too, though. The picture is so blurry I can't tell.

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
These Type 99's always take me back to the one my friend bought back in 72. He was no collector but spotted one at our favorite LGS for $25. Sure looked unmolested to me as a complete novice back then with the mum intact. Did wake me up pulling the trigger with some 7.7 Norma rounds. Be quite a challenge to find one now for that price!!

·
Premium Member
6,398 Posts
That was a battle field pick up by an American GI. The captured rifles had the "mums" ground off. The American Military set up armories across Japan. They issued captured Jap firearms to American GIs. They were allowed to take one home to the U.S. By the Vietnam War our Nation no longer trusted our fighting men. :(
Some family pick ups from WWII. A DWM Luger, A Papa Nambu, the Arasaki 6.5 Type 44. The Jap guns came from the South Pacific. The DWM 1916 Luger captured at Buchenwald Concentration Camp. :usa2:

IMG_0318.JPG

1 - 20 of 53 Posts