arisaka type 99

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by geral ray johnson, Jan 24, 2020.

1. geral ray johnson

geral ray johnson G&G Evangelist

hello my name is geral ! I am the new guy here , not sure how to post anything on here yet. my rifle with the complete mum

Attached Files:

2. rando

rando G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Maryland
    Hi there and welcome to Gun & Game. I have several of the type 99 7.7 Cal. rifles. Two of mine have the Mum also and one has the aircraft sights. Now you say the stock is cracked? Is it cracked or wood separated? The Japanese made their stocks with pieced together wood..It can be glued and clamped if so. Yes it is not worth buying a stock at the prices they ask. Also many times one stock will not fit on another rifle as the different arsenals made them different. Need to find the same series and arsenal and its like impossible. I see you do some fishing there too.

3. geral ray johnson

4. geral ray johnson

Attached Files:

blaster and rando like this.
  5. eastbank

eastbank G&G Evangelist

bubba got ahold of it.

mauser9 and rando like this.
  6. PaleHawkDown

PaleHawkDown G&G Evangelist

Do you have a better picture of the whole rifle? I'm curious about what looks like a metal piece on the nose of the stock.

rando likes this.
  7. rando

Maryland
    Metal on receiver looks nice and no wear either.

8. rando

Maryland
    That is the bracket that the Monopod hooks to. Most of the wire monopods were taken off of the rifles in combat because of in the way. Someone cut the stock off right in front of it.

9. geral ray johnson

actual gun is original ! stock was broken ! I ordered a replacement stock . I shortenen the stock , just to get it back together for now !

10. PaleHawkDown

PaleHawkDown G&G Evangelist

It almost looks like there is another piece of metal there too, though. The picture is so blurry I can't tell.

rando likes this.
  11. geral ray johnson

no extra metal

12. geral ray johnson

pics were taken with my phone ! sorry

13. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Evangelist

These Type 99's always take me back to the one my friend bought back in 72. He was no collector but spotted one at our favorite LGS for $25. Sure looked unmolested to me as a complete novice back then with the mum intact. Did wake me up pulling the trigger with some 7.7 Norma rounds. Be quite a challenge to find one now for that price!!

rando likes this.
  14. Huey Rider

Huey Rider G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

:):)Welcome to G&G from Michigan:):)

15. eastbank

eastbank G&G Evangelist

bubba got ahold of it. now you say you shortened it,ok. now all you need is a new stock.

Attached Files:

Jim Bridger likes this.
  16. geral ray johnson

20200125_151629.jpg

Huey Rider likes this.
  17. geral ray johnson

20200121_103049.jpg

Dutch likes this.
  18. Jim Bridger

Jim Bridger G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

That was a battle field pick up by an American GI. The captured rifles had the "mums" ground off. The American Military set up armories across Japan. They issued captured Jap firearms to American GIs. They were allowed to take one home to the U.S. By the Vietnam War our Nation no longer trusted our fighting men. :(
    Some family pick ups from WWII. A DWM Luger, A Papa Nambu, the Arasaki 6.5 Type 44. The Jap guns came from the South Pacific. The DWM 1916 Luger captured at Buchenwald Concentration Camp. :usa2:

IMG_0318.JPG

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
    Dutch, blaster, huntr and 3 others like this.
  19. geral ray johnson

my arisaka has all matching numbers . But I do need the fireing pin and spring , and safety
    type 99

Dutch likes this.