close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Armscor ammo problems?

Discussion in 'Range Visits' started by ghost_raven, Apr 16, 2018 at 5:36 AM.

1. ghost_raven

ghost_raven G&G Evangelist

Went to the range with my .300 BLK (among others) today, and my .300 BLK had its first malfunctions today. I was using an ammo I've used quite a bit without issues, and liked because it was cheap and reloadable - Armscor.

With the malfunction, the forward assist didn't do anything, but I was able to pull back the charging handle to eject the cartridge. An unspent cartridge came out and fell to the ground as well as a smaller piece - a primer. I figured one defective round, not too big of a deal, then continued shooting, but paying close attention. Eventually, I picked up and checked the unspent cartridge I'd ejected - its primer was still in place and everything looked fine. It was apparently the previous one that the primer came off of and jammed things.

After 5 shots or so, another malfunction. This one required more effort to clear. Had to pound on the charging handle pretty firmly. This time, a spent case came out, primer of course having been blown out.

So now two blown out primers from the same box of factory-new ammo. A little harder to ignore.

Is this a fluke, or has anyone heard of similar issues with this brand? As I mentioned, I've gone through a number of boxes of this brand for my .300 BLK, but this is the first time I've had issues with it.

2. FN FAL

FN FAL NOT a new member Forum Contributor

I have used various types of armscor ammo but not .300blk, it stays sold out around here and so far I have not heard anyone I know using it to have an issue. I have tried a bit of their .223 ammo and no issues. When I see some armscor .300blk on the shelf I will buy a box or two and take it out next time I go do some shooting.

When armscor .22 ammo was about the only thing you could find I bought quite a bit of it and found it to be decent if not a bit hotter than most .22lr rounds. Recently bought armscor .22lr reminds me of thunderduds where the report sound and feel of recoil is just slightly different almost every round.

PAPA G likes this.

3. Kmcdowell

Kmcdowell G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Omaha NE
    I've got about 1200 rounds of Armscor .223 and 200 rounds of 5.56 in my ammo cabinet. I hope I don't have problems with it when I need it most. Thanks for the heads up. I think I'll take a few boxes to the range in the next week or two and see if I have any problems.

PAPA G likes this.
  4. blaster

blaster G&G Evangelist

the only time I had popped primers in my 300 BLK was with some of my reloads. when I had to make my own 300 cases, the brass was loaded too many times and the primer pockets got loose. that has nothing to do with your problem but beware of a primer falling down into your trigger group! instant lock up and a major pain in the *** to clear. usually requiring disassembly of the trigger.

PAPA G likes this.
  5. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

I like Armscor guns, but their ammo sucks. I tried their "Armscor Precision" .22LR rimfire ammo, and it was junk.

Ten Man and PAPA G like this.
  6. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Couldn't tell you. I have bought about forty rounds of storebought .300 AAC and it wasn't that brand. I have rolled my own since then. If they malfunction, it's MY fault.

PAPA G likes this.
  7. PaleHawkDown

PaleHawkDown G&G Evangelist

I've never had any problems with Armscor but I've only tried more common calibers.

8. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

woah NO!.....NO!....NO!
    if your blowing primers and having to beat open the bolt.
    STOP!!.
    those loads are far too hot for your rifle.
    contact armscore with your lot number they may have a recall.
    DO NOT keep shooting them.
    unless your not planning on keeping the rifle in one piece for too long.

blowing a primer indicates pressures in the 80-90K zone, or that the brass is too soft.
    either one is bad news.

Jaison, Ten Man, blaster and 2 others like this.
  9. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Evangelist

Only ammo Armscor ammo I tried when desperate was their 22 mag. 40grain stuff. It grouped but tended to string the shots. Since then always buy the CCI stuff for my R/A compact. The 18 inch tube shoots them very accurate.

rando likes this.
  10. rando

rando G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Maryland
    The only Armscor ammo that I have bought and shot is all 22 Magnum. No issues with it

11. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

It never ceases to amaze me how folks will spend hundreds, if not thousands of dollars for a good quality firearm, and then try to run junk ammo through it.

It is akin to buying a new Mercedes or BMW automobile, then selling the original tires, having the cheapest ones you can buy put on, then expecting Mercedes or BMW performance from your new automobile.

If you don't care about your firearm, or your body parts, then such a practice may be acceptable to you.

12. Big Dog

One big reason I reload CF ammo, and use good namebrand rimfire ammo.

Ten Man likes this.
  13. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

I see it with custom shotguns all the time too.
    25+ thousand dollars for a custom fit, pick your own wood, and engraving guns.
    then they complain because the 3$ a box ammo is sticking in the chambers.

Ten Man likes this.
  14. FN FAL

FN FAL NOT a new member Forum Contributor

Not all armscor ammo is foreign made. The 22lr and the 22 mag I do believe is but just about everything else I have looked at is made in USA. Not that we can't make some bad ammo here.

I bought a few boxes of Armscor 300blk 147gr ammo today, might take a while before I can get out and fire some of it.
    In the mean time if you hear any info on if they made any bad stuff it would be good to know

15. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

DOH! I take that back. I saw some on sale when I was ordering something else and I picked up TWO Armscor 20 round boxes of .300 AAC. But, I had no problems with it, and I have since reloaded the brass from it and it fired no problems.

16. ghost_raven

I did some more research on it... didn't take too long to find others mentioning the same problem with this ammo in .300 BLK. Think I won't be buying more. Some had speculated the primer pocket was too wide. Gratefully, everything looked good in my AR when I cleaned it.

Kind of weird - like I said, no previous issues with them, but then suddenly, two problems in one box of 20.

17. Big Dog

I wonder if this problem can be attributed to one or more specific batch numbers?

18. ghost_raven

I did e-mail them... waiting on a response. One complaint I saw had 3 blown primers in one box... the complaint was dated to early last year though, if I remember right.