Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
I like it. The review did not explain it---it is not "Glock-like" it is a Glock clone ....

- 99% of parts are interchangeable. Handgun Review: The Rock Island Armory STK100 | Field & Stream (fieldandstream.com)

It is the same as a Glock 17, except 8 ounces heavier, not a big deal if you are carrying a full size gun anyway. Will it wear better than a Glock frame that have been shown to still be fine after 200,000 rounds? Probably not but who cares,

It comes optic ready a nice option for people who cannot see open sights or just like something battery powered on top of the gun. A small light on the rail and an optic make for a nice gun at night on the farm. A laser would make shooting skunks in the dark even easier, have done that a dozen times, they come to my security light to eat bugs.

One of beatifies of these simplistic designs is the gun fits 90% of everybody as is. No new grips or sights or anything needed. Just stick it in a holster or night stand, put bullets in it and you are good to go. Maybe fire 200 rounds through it to test reliability and forget about it. I have a Glock 19 that I carry for other people. It goes on trips.

If my wife or other family member shows up in the boonies without a gun, they can carry it or at least everyone knows where it is and that it shoots 15 times without a reload. Pure function that anybody can use. This one is the same only heavier, not a big deal. Been thinking about adding another Glock to the herd, may get this one.

I have RIA 1911s and use their frames in guns that I build. I have zero concern about their quality. They make more 1911s than anyone on the planet, never heard of a bad one. I am even thinking about one of those 9mm clip fed revolvers mentioned above. Never cared for moon clip fed guns until I got a SW Governor, now I like em. RIA is getting to be a top gun maker in my view.

Reactions: Junction15

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
In addition to the several reviews on the Armscor link I posted in post #1 and the link Jaison posted in post #4 here's another pretty good review of this pistol.
I would sure like to see and fondle one in person. Of course then Armscor/RIA needs to make it in 10mm and 45ACP or offer conversion kits, and a long slide conversion. LOL

The plastic Glock one is on the bigger frame so I doubt a conversion would work. The 9mm and 40 are shorter than the 45 and 10.so the trigger reach in longer also, so Id bout a conversion would work.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Take a close look at the STK100 owners manual too, it is a good representation of how little they care , about it too. I feel really stupid that I even considered this turd. And what ever coating they put on the barrel, after a dozen racking's it had all worn off. How did they put so little effort into this pos.
I am thinking you got the proverbial lemon. Look at the reviews on line, some are on the Amscor sight. Roy Huntington the famed gunsmith and writer gives is a good writeup as does the NRA and many others. I did not find a bad review. It is of course a first edition gun and every body who buys a first year, car, or computer or anything else knows to expect the early buyer to find any flaws.

It is $500 gun, not expected to be polished and shiny. Glock are about ugly utility. That is what the are competing with and their market segment, people who want to buy ugly guns that work well. To rearly to tell if your situation is typical.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Did you watch those videos all the way thru?

The first Bubbas were shooting reloads at first. They did not even go thru a normal break in cycle. The had a cosmetic issue and possible and extractor issue, they both shot it well. And even the weak ejection, every round fired.

The second guy did not even shoot the gun? Why list that one? Tells us nothing. Thats like evaluting an airplane by its looks, I want to know if it can fly before I board.

The third one said he might use it as his "beater competition gun". That is pretty high evaluation for a $475 gun. And at 13:30 while he is talking about it's flaws he said "this gun is as smooth a shooting gun as you can find it stands up to like Shadow Twos and Legions......" you can read it for yourself. Did you see how many fast rounds he fired from the gun with nary a failure?

The 4th video, the Jimimini show, he did not even have the gun, he used a CZ 75 as an example to explain what he considered an issue with the Glock copy. Do you think there is any semblance between a SA/DA, eternal hammered fired gun and a Glock clone?

The 5th video, the deadlock assassin Utube ninja showed a Twenty-Three (23 second) video that showed his front sight came loose. Exactly what does that tell us about anything?

It is intended as a Glock clone, the first two Bubbas in their video started to complain about the trigger and then they said, "well, it a Glock trigger", duh. It is supposed to be.

I am not or have ever been a dealer but I have owner well over 100 guns, more than half handguns. I have carried them in two branches of the military and 4 law enforcement agencies, and I seen them work or not work in lots of places. I have only sent 3 guns back to the factory in my lifetime, one was a rifle with a faulty safety, one was a faulty weld on a cheap shotgun, it fell apart on round 10, and the last was a revolver that locked up. I once bought a desirable sports car, American made with a proven motor, that piece of krap was in the shop over 20 times before the warranty went out, that stuff happens. That does not mean every car like that was krap.

Just saying, the videos you showed did not show any major faults with the gun, one faulty front sight, a quality control issue. And you could not get all 10 rounds in your brand new Glock compatible magazine. I have about 20 Glock mags,I would have tried another one or just cut a half coil off at a time until it got right.

Not one of those issues, I could not fix in minutes, unless I had to order an extractor. The same problem you had. I had the exact problem with Colt Commander. Every person on here has had a 1911 at one time that would not even feed ball 100%. All guns needed a little tweaking either the day they are bought, or some day long after when they started to get wear. Even Glocks were out after few hundred thousand rounds.

But you did not tell us the ammo being used, whether the new gun was cleaned of the factory grease before you tested it or anything like that.

If you want a true evaluation of the gun, look at the Guns and Ammo report, it was put thru two training classes with 1,600 rounds fired. Did the guy love it, no. But he did say this below.>

Here is what a professional evaluator said about the gun, not some guys making Utube videos for 40 in the basement.

After such a positive evaluation experience, I have no doubt that the RIA STK100 is a very good pistol. That said, the sample size for my testing was exactly one. With more than 1,600 rounds downrange between the training course, accuracy evaluations and my own shooting — all during the COVID ammo craziness — I think Guns & Ammo can safely claim to have conducted one of the most extensive evaluations of the pistol to date. (Allow me to thank Remington for assisting me in sourcing ammunition!) All told, the STK100 performed remarkably well. It has earned my trust and admiration.

Anyway as I said before, sounds like you got a lemon. I could have fixed you issues in 20 minutes and would not have sent it back, but that is just me. Did you look at the good reviews in posts #1, #4, #6, #7, and #8. All of them are professionals, not UTube ninjas.

Did you send yours back?

Everybody has an opinion, probably nobody on here wants to hear mine or yours anymore. Good night my friend. Opinions vary.

Reactions: Huey Rider

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
The 4th video, the Jimimini show, he did not even have the gun, he used a CZ 75 as an example to explain what he considered an issue with the Glock copy. Do you think there is any semblance between a SA/DA, eternal hammered fired gun and a Glock clone?
Did you miss the part where he said he didn't have the gun to show it because RI wanted it back ?
I followed up with him and he emailed me to say it took 3 months to get it back, and it must have been so bad that they gave him a new gun.
I have a Stoeger STR9 and a SAR B6 , a lot cheaper than this turd, and DID NOT require any break in nor have any issues , right out of the box like this lemon.
You definitely got a lemon. Failure to extract should be pretty easily fixable but that is sounding like a common problem on them that is more than a flawed extractor.

Since you also tried a Glock magazine that means the little cut in the magazine was in the right place, but the magazine catch location is out of tolerance.. That will also make your mags ride high and might be interfering with the feeding, meaning the next round up was a little too high which might cause drag on the action. If the next round up is higher that it should be, then it might be what is keeping the bullet from coming out of the chamber. If it is doing that with both mags, that is probably the issue, the mag release placed too high. You might fix it in two minutes with a file, but i would not it is a new gun, and any file mark would kill the warranty. Make them fix it or replace it.

The fact that many reviewers fired lots of rounds including the one I linked with 1,600 rounds and no major issues, tells me that particular gun was not meant to be yours. I too would send that one back, I usually just fix them myself, but if the mags are not fitting with just a snug presentation into the gun, then it goes back. It's a self defense gun, you cannot have a mag that might not lock in.

That combined with the failure to eject, I would not try to fix it either, it goes back.

I do not know anything about the Stoeger but SAR B6 is just a clone of the CZ ,the Tangfolio, the EEA Witness and the other names it goes by. Those are great guns whether steel or plastic. I would carry one of those into combat anywhere. I am actually wanting to find one of the steel ones in 10mm, under the Tangfolio or Witness brand. I would not mind having one in 40 SW either. My best buddy was a doctor, a surgeon and had lots of money. I taught him how to shoot, hunt and all things guns. When he died he left 100 guns, some very expensive. He had 8 or 9 Sigs and about 90 handguns total. But he did not carry them much. His favorites were the Witness that he had in 9mm, 40, and 45 acp. Just saying he had many $2k pistols but he carried one like your SAR B6. They were among the best buys of any high capacity handgun before all this panic buying started.

Well ship that sucker off and get another and then let us know, you know exactly what to look for. If the magazine catch is cut at the wrong location I would suspect they would just give you another gun.

Let us know how it turns out. Lots of people would prefer a metal frame Glock.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts