close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

army rangers

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by johno, May 16, 2002.

1. johno

johno G&G Newbie

I know we've got a lot of vets that browse these forums. I'm in the army and have been thinking about applying for ranger training. is there anyone here that's been through it and can tell what it's like, and if it's a good thing to do?
    thanks, johno

2. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

Johno,
    What are your long-term plans? Are you doing a short hitch, and getting out, or are you a lifer? If you're single and are looking to further your career, then go for it. If you're not single, it isn't worth it. Too much time in the field, and it puts great stress on a marriage.
    As far as training, you can expect to do some serious training. Land navigation without a map/compass, extensive E&E, psychology, medical, weapons familiarity, history, guerilla tactics, and a ton of pull-ups before they let you eat chow. It's very, very demanding, and they intentionally try to weed you out. No sleep, eating bugs or whatever you can find, water survival, winter survival, desert survival, and a few other good times I can't recall.
    If you are serious, have studied the Rangers' mission, history, and creed, and accept them as a way of life, you are what they are looking for. If you question anything about the Rangers, you will not make it. You will be in the best shape of your life when you are done, and the tab sure is a morale-booster. Think and study hard, then make your decision.
    Personally, you have to WANT to do it for yourself as a person, not to be macho. Airborne is macho-Rangers are elite.
    Good luck, and don't give up. Give Ft. Benning my regards.

3. Stopper

Stopper G&G Newbie

Ditto what Calvin said.

You have got to want it, it is good for your career if you are in for the long haul. But what it does to you as a person is indescribable. Self confidence in your self involving any situation is priceless.

If you do decide to try making it through Ranger Indoctrination, you will know within minutes if you have made the right decision or not.

Rangers Lead the way!!

4. johno

johno G&G Newbie

thanks for you input guys. for now i'm jsut looking at a few years, but i'm considering going in for life. I'm going down to the meps soon to get my active duty orders, and i'll see what happens.

5. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

Johno, I was an 11 X-Ray, so I can speak from experience. If you haven't thought it out, now's the time. Don't let testosterone be your guide. It isn't a glamorous lifestyle. It's extremely demanding, and you can really screw yourself up if you don't have your head on straight. My advice would be to try Airborne first, and see if you like it. If you do, then put your name in, and wait for a slot in Ranger School. It could take a while, but at least you will of have seen what really goes on.
    I wish you the best of luck, and hope all goes well for you. God Bless........

6. johno

johno G&G Newbie

thanks for your advice calvin. trying airborne school first to see how i like it is something that i'd thought a little bit about, and it makes a lot of sense.

7. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

I was in the Marines and never went through Ranger school....I know Recon School kicked my butt...The instructors all bragged about haveing gone through Ranger school....in fact they sliped it into almost every conversation....so I can only Assume that it is much tougher than Recon school. When I was young and jacked up on teenage hormones I thought Recon..sniper and the like was way cool... I got out when I was 25 and found out that yep you can brag about it in a bar but you cant get a high paying job with it....something to think about....Things like EOD..Electronics ect offer something that you will sooner or later need....a civilian job (Ok other than Cop..security guard....ect) I mean a good paying job..... Just my .02 worth.

8. You have got to want it. It's a real good idea to talk to guys who have completed the course so you have a really good idea of what you in for, I know some aspects have changed since I went. What I am sure hasn't changed is that you can expect to be mentally, and physically tested to your max over and over. If you have the chance to get into a R.I.P. (Ranger Indoctrination Program) do it, this will give you a pretty good idea if it is for you. If it is, then get it shape, mental and physical, because the course is designed to weed you out. Best of luck to you.

RLTW

9. Eric

Eric G&G Newbie

USA
    Johno,
    Just got to put my two-cents in. I've attended and graduated from RANGER School and also graduated from the Special Forces Qualification Course (Q-Course). I personally believe it's the best course you could possible attend. You will truly learn what Manslow's hierchy of needs really is. I went in at 170 pounds and graduated 72 days later at 128 pounds, I have to disagree with Calvin on this part...you'll be in the worst shape of your life. I couldn't do 10 push-ups when I graduated, but I could put a 130 pound ruck, and 40 pound LBE on and walk for 20 miles without having slept but 2 hours in the last 3 days. You will learn more about yourself than you ever thought possible. You do not have to go to a Ranger Bat to attend Ranger school, but if you're not in Bat you had better be an 11 series (Infantry). All I can say is on graduation day when your loved one or friend comes out on that parade field and pins that tab on your shoulder it will be one of the happiest and most memorable events in your life...I promise. Good Shooting! Eric

God Speed and RLTW!

Last edited: May 24, 2002