Army to get new sniper rifle

Discussion in 'General Rifle' started by Huey Rider, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Huey Rider

Huey Rider G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

2. Midas

Midas Chief Troll B' Gone Forum Contributor

Glad to see this, our soldiers should always have the best equipment at their disposal.

3. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    Anyone know what the Army plans to do with the current models?

4. H&R12G

H&R12G G&G Newbie

Why didn't they ever adopt the PSG-1?

5. BarryHalls

BarryHalls G&G Evangelist

Remington's been pushing those for a WHILE.

In short, they are a more modular and versitile 700. They come all 'tacticool' with skeletal stocks and mod rails EVERYWHERE!

I didn't know the military was taking them seriously. EXCELLENT rifles. It's just the natural progression of the modern sniper rifle.

Folding stock, big mags, rails everywhere, interchangeable muzzle brakes and such. . . . It's the future.

http://www.remingtonmilitary.com/MSR/msr.htm#/intro

It's a rifle streamlined for the US scout sniper from start to finish.

Well done Rem.

Not available to civis yet, but Rem is 'working on it'

6. hack1911

hack1911 G&G Newbie

KY
    Great.....now I'm gonna have to buy one of those.:D I've gotta stay current you know?

7. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Evangelist

The PSG-1 is the most expensive sniper rifle out there and no more accurate than other rifles. Don't get me wrong it is a good system but it doesn't do anything better than other rifles. For the $25,000 price tag you can buy a few rifles. Not to mention it's still 7.62 and it's limited. I think this is a step in the right direction for sure. Modular so you can tailor the rifle to the mission. 7.62 for urban sniping and the .300WM and .338LM for longer distance like in the mountains of Afghanistan.

8. MosinRuger

MosinRuger G&G Evangelist

Colorado
    That rifle looks amazing! i want one! And im glad our troops will be getting something they really need. I think the gov. and military made a good decision here.

Will these be availabe for the commercial market? if so how much would one cost?...like I'll be able to afford it...RIGHT

9. franchi

franchi Guest

I wouldlove to see our army using the Sako .338 Lapua rifles. the price isnt as bad either..

10. stinkybriches

stinkybriches G&G Enthusiast

25,000 sounds a little steep to me. dont get me wrong, our troops deserve the best money can buy, but 25 large for a bolt action rifle sound steep to me.

11. Never_Evil

Never_Evil G&G Evangelist

Just imagine a .338 Lapua bullet pressed into a 50 cal casing. That will definitely tickle some fancies from a long distance.

12. Already done, and done better, friend. Check out the ballistics on the .416 Barrett. That is a WICKED cartridge!

13. stinkybriches

stinkybriches G&G Enthusiast

how does the .416 stack up to the .408?

14. grizcty

grizcty God, Guns, Glory Forum Contributor

IMHO, it looks awful.

As it looks like a barrel/bolt with a pistol grip & folding stock.
    Looks fragile too.

Hopefully, the troops get plenty of time.
    To get used to the new cartridge, & gun system.

Does not look too comfortable to me!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
  15. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Actually , That was done some years ago By Klaus at Midstate Arms , called the 50-.338 in a bolt Gun.As I remember Reading it was Hard on Barrels.

I'm tickled that they went with the .300 Win Mag...My favorite Cartridge !
    The recoil is manageable and the Trajectory is flatter than most cartridges.
    However, Both Cartridges are sub Moa at 1000 yards with the right Gun and a Very Competent Trained Sniper.

16. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Evangelist

The .300 WM with the 200gr SMK is one heck of a combo. At 1000m it still has more energy as a .44mag at point blank. The .338 will be hell on the Taliban as well. I am glad to see that the Military is finally moving in the right direction. Most other countries are and have been using far better cartridges than the 7.62Nato for many years. It works fine on soft targets under 1000m but is iffy out past that range.

17. sniper762

sniper762 G&G Enthusiast

h&r12g, the current .308 m24's are to be modified to the new .300 wm.

18. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Evangelist

How are they going to modify a short action to shoot a long action cartridge? Correct me if I am wrong but the current M24s are using the short action that the .308 is designed for and not the longer action of the .300WM

19. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

Actually the M24SWS was offered in both 308 and 300WM. So if they chambered the two calibers in appropriate action lengths, then at least some can be modified.

20. I know....300 is the way to go....to me anyways...lol