Gun and Game Forum banner

Army's New Pistols Often Eject Live Rounds and Don't Work Well With Regular Bullets

4K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  PaleHawkDown 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Very surprising to hear of a Sig acting up like this. I read about it firing if dropped a while back, but jamming and ejecting live rounds is something new to me.

#3 ·
I own 2 P320 Sig pistols and have never had either one of them act up in any way. I just recently sent them in for the largely unnecessary voluntary recall and not only is the trigger slightly improved, the whole process was completed in exactly 10 days including shipping time and it didn't cost me a dime either way. Sometimes a fluke incident will crop up and word will spread like wildfire and before you know it, it becomes a major problem. I'll wait a few weeks or months before passing judgment.

#5 ·
If the Army is just going to pick what they want anyway, why do they even do testing?

Pretty much every trial in American history has gone this same route.

The AR-15 wasn't as good as the Stoner 63, The Garand wasn't as good as the Johnson, the tests that led to the Krag didn't even include American manufacturers, and even Colt open-tops fared much poorer than several of the designs they were up against, and the only reason the SAA was such a hit is that the Army basically told Colt it wanted something more like the Remington-style revolver, so Colt built one.

If we talk about vehicles I'm not sure we've made the best choice since WWII (barring, maybe the C-130 which I have rarely heard a complaint about), and the main reason we made good choices then was that we bought whatever we could and pretty much tested everything in the field.

I think the M2 machine gun and the 1911 are the only two arms I can think of that won their respective trials fairly, and even then Browning wasn't happy with the 1911 due to its over-complexity compared with the Savage it was up against.

#7 ·
...and why again did they move from the 1911?

They should have gone with a Sig 220 instead of a new concept. My 220 has seen some nasty weather conditions and other forms of unintentional abuse, yet always went bang -- accurately.

#8 ·
I disagree. They should have gone with a SIG P210, the later model with the side mounted slide release button. Or maybe just made an M1911B with a captive guide rod spring and a double action for the first shot trigger, with modern sights and a rail milled into the frame under the barrel. Essentially, take a Model 57 Yugoslav Tokarev and upgun it to .45 ACP.

Reactions: PaleHawkDown
#9 · (Edited)
I honestly thought the Sig would be a better choice than a Glock, but I'll never understand why the military slashed the best guns from the list before serious testing even began.

In a fair world Glock and Sig wouldn't have even made the cut. The CZ or Sphinx offerings should have, and would have, won by a landslide in a competition where politics wasn't a factor.

After that I would have thought the STI and STX pistols would have been an easy choice on a political-only basis as they would have bridged the gap between the "Why can't we just use 1911s" crowd and the "We need a modern firearm" crowd; and both are made by American companies.

#16 ·
I honestly thought the Sig would be a better choice than a Glock, but I'll never understand why the military slashed the best guns from the list before serious testing even began.

In a fair world Glock and Sig wouldn't have even made the cut. The CZ or Sphinx offerings should have, and would have, won by a landslide in a competition where politics wasn't a factor.
Wouldn't it be interesting to do a blind test, so the politicians or military brass dont know the brand only the performance test results.

#11 ·
This is an example of one of those "corrupt military acquisitions" I was referring to in another thread.

Better guns, with proven track records, were bypassed, to purchase something "new" that doesn't do the job. Stupidity never seems to go out of fashion.

Reactions: K75RT and Rocky7
#12 ·
This certainly tarnishes Sig-Sauer's reputation.

Reactions: K75RT
#14 ·
And who would the sore losers be in your opinion? Did you NOT read the article? So, a malfunctioning pistol is okay for our troops? Or is is because you don't like a particular gun manufacturer?

Reactions: Rocky7
#15 ·
Change for the sake of change is never a good thing, my experience. This coming from a 1911 die hard. I was issued a Smith 45 long colt at pd in med 70s. Love the gun, maybe more so because of it caliber. Only pistol we could by back when they went to another weapon. Still have it. Last pistol I carried was a Baretta 92F. Hated it, puny 9mm.

#19 ·
that's how they would do it.
I guess when low bidder wins, they ain't sending their best stuff all the time.

ditto hating the M-81/2.
I, only one time, was happy to have it with me and that was when we were out of 5.56 ammo and were basically jacked and screwed at the same time.
if our ride wasn't a little early that day...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.