Asking for opinions on these two rounds

Discussion in 'Ammunition Reports' started by Paul T, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Paul T

Paul T G&G Newbie

Other than being a lighter weight round, why is the .223/5.56 such a popular round as compared to the .308?
    If there were a heavy barreled AR chambered for 7.62x54R that could be ideal. I am concerned about cost but cost alone doesn't trump performance. I used to hate black rifles but lately I have been turned around. Just how do these two rounds stack up to each other in an AR platform?

2. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist

Well let's see. Lighter round, flatter trajectory, less recoil, and costs less.

Nope, don't know why anybody likes it.

3. Paul T

Paul T G&G Newbie

Well,ganny you probably have a bubba mosin with an axle rod for a bbl chambered in that round. But what about the terminal performance.

4. shop tom

shop tom G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

REAL guns shoot cartridges that go BANG real loud and kick almost behind as before. The 5.56 doesn't fit that description.

The .308 does. Of course it does. It's nothing but a Yankee modernisation of a ripped off 7.62x54R, the REAL He-Mans' choice.

tom

5. Mmmm,

your question is one that generates such strong emotions it can be like walking barefoot on broken glass.

The .223, in my opinion, is a round for smaller game. I view it as a round with limitations in the sporting world.

Personally, of the two I would go with the .308 as it is a well proven round for game up to and including deer. I a rifle set up for longer range shooting it does perform as ranges move on out from one hundred yards. Yes, I do realize some of members feel it is a go for larger game.

My two favorite calibers are the .243 Winchester and the 7mm/08.

I do understand this is a forum and I respect those members who will disagree with me. However, I rather doubt they will affect my opinion.

6. big boomer

big boomer G&G Enthusiast

Besides what Grandog said lets add the fact you can carry alot more 223 vs 308 at the same weight and less recoil means better accuracy. A hit with a little bullet is better than a miss with a big one. That being said I would prefer the 308 as my combat round. But this comparing rounds will never end, there are always some that like one over the other.

7. Paul T

Paul T G&G Newbie

Thank you for the last two posts. That info was most helpful.

8. Para Cassatt

Para Cassatt G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

If you want an assault rifle that doesn't have to be an AR, the SSG 97 in 7.62x 54R may fit your needs.

9. don5544

don5544 G&G Evangelist

What is it about shooting that gives you pleasure.

If you like a big bang and recoil. 308

If you just like to shot and have fun. 223

Some people like a S & W 500 mag. Some like the 480 Ruger. Me I think a 44 has to much recoil to be fun. 357 is just fine. In fact a day of shooting 22lr is great.

I have a 308 assault rifle and several 223 and 7.62 X 39. The light rounds are fun to play with. In a close quarters fight I would chose the light rounds all day. If we are talking a battle I would go with a battle rifle all day long. 308 blows through walls and bricks like nothing else. 50 ft away and a moving target its hard to beat a 5.56.

Personally I shot 10 to 1 223 over 308 just for pleasure.

10. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist

Two knee replacements pretty much put the kibosh on any hunting. I only punch paper now, so any round will do.
    P.S. Only have 1 Bubba'ed Mosin. Bought it to save it from any further Bubba'ing. It still shoots 7.62X54R. My .223 is a Saiga AK type action. I know its good to at least 200 yards, that's as far as the range I go to goes.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  11. 9mmXDm

9mmXDm Suspended

Wasn't the .223/5.56 meant to maim not kill? Since it is a NATO round.

Personally I'd want a gun in both calibers.

.223/5.56 for fun shooting and smaller game.

.308 for long range target shooting and bigger game and an all out battle round.

I see advantages and disadvantages for both. So get one that you'll use more price wise or not.

12. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

Like arguing apples and oranges. Both served a utilitarian role but in different theaters. Either are perfect for all applications. Sadly, we are revisiting the debate again.

13. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

If all I wanted to do or was supposed to do was maim the adversary,I would just set plenty of booze and drugs out for him and hide and watch him destroy himself,"ONE INCH AT A TIME",and by the way,it takes a lot more than two or three others to take care of drunks and druggies."IT TAKES A WHOLE NATION OF TAX PAYERS".Come on fellas,you don't point a firearm at someone and fire it intending to maim someone.When it goes boom,you hope to heaven they died.The booze/drugs are better.Look what has and is happening to the good ol' U.S. of A.. ,,,sam.

14. Spindrift

Spindrift G&G Newbie

15. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist

My .223 is a Saiga, with an AK type action.

16. drtybykr

drtybykr G&G Newbie

308 all day

then 7.62x39, and last, and least the 5.56(poodle shooter). Because a .22caliber is not a battle rifle:angryfire:

17. Para Cassatt

Para Cassatt G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Doesn't it require modification to accept AK mags? My only experience is with their 12 ga.

18. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist

Yep, a little dremel action on the mags, and they're good to go though. Lot cheaper than doing the full conversion.

19. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    you dont really spell out what your asking these cartridges to do. you did ask about terminal performance, so i would guess you want to hunt something. IMO the .223/5.56 is a damned fine round for hunting...............animals the size of coyotes and anything smaller. if you desire to hunt bigger game than coyotes, pick a bigger round!