Assembling M1A Question

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by william sussman, Sep 12, 2002.

1. I note that CMP has some of the parts one needs to put together an M14/M1A. How hard would it be to get all the rest needed? I guess the receiver would be the hardest to find-who makes the best non GI receivers?Cost wise would one be better to just buy an Springfield M1A? What do you all think?

2. Rock

Rock Guest

You will be happier if you get a Springfield to start with...

3. Its not easy to put together all the parts. I just finished doing it . I started with the parts from CMP. Last thing I got was a Springfield receiver. By the time I was done I had $850 just for the parts. Figure I'll have another $200 to get it put together as a shooter. Was it worth it? I would say so. I enjoyed searching for the parts and learned a lot in the process(I'm sort of new at M1A's). Not sure I could have bought one for that but probably could have come close.

4. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

UNLESS YOUR DOING IT FOR THE ADVENTURE

i would get the new M1a, along with its warranty.

5. BM59

TRY A BM59 KIT. SOME FUN OPENING UP A M1 RECIVER TO TAKE THE MAG.

DANA

6. Gyrene

Gyrene Guest

Papa G - It is possible that the Springfield M1A is the better deal, but if you buy a new one nowdays, stand by for paying at least $1500.00 for a basic one, and $2500.00 for a Super Match. When I find that I can outshoot my Chinese Norinco M14 S/A, I will be purchasing a Springfield M1A Super Match, so don't get the idea that I do not like the Springfield product(s).

The last several M1A's I have seen brought to the range still suffer from needing that warranty. The owners who know a little about gunsmithing usually are OK, and take care of the problems themselves. The biggest problem that I have seen is that the extractor gets extracted from the bolt (or self extracts), and then things fly, especially the Extractor Detent spring and detent, and Ejector spring, and ejector and anything the springs are in contact with. Some never have the problem, and others will have the problem until the bolt assembly is changed out for a GI Bolt Assembly.

The way I understand it, if you replace the bolt including all of the components of the bolt with a GI Bolt Assembly, you will not have the problem. Of course this means that the bolt/barrel combination needs to be properly headspaced.

Seems to me that I remember Gun Test Magazine did a test comparison with the Springfield M1A, a Chinese Poly Tech M14S, and an Armscorp M14 a few years ago, and the Springfield bolt disassembled itself so early in the test, that it couldn't compete. The Chinese Poly Tech was not the most accurate, but it had fewer problems than the Armscorp. Seems that I also remember the Gun Test Magazine crew kept gagging at the odor of the plastic (MacMillen if I remember correctly) stock on the Springfield, and were quite happy to not have to shoot it, (I still say I prefer a Walnut stock on my rifles). The comment I heard was that it smelled as though it should have been flushed down the toilet !

Springfield has been very responsive on Warranty claims, so if you can't repair it yourself, and have the time to wait, then it is a Great Rifle.

7. gunsmith_tony

gunsmith_tony Guest

Best to build with Springfield receiver...and GI parts. Just dont try it without the proper tools.