Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought ya'll might want to see the reponse I got from ATF. 'Course the downside is I probably have a file now.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2005 7:57 PM
To: Webmaster
Subject: SKS Dragunov Stocks

Hello,

I'm trying to get a definitive answer as to whether a Dragunov style stock on an SKS rifle is considered a thumbhole or a pistol grip.

Any help would be appreciated since I don't want to waste my money on something I cannot legally use.

Thanks, Troy

Thank you for visiting ATF's Website. As stated on our site, generally, we do not answer technical questions via e-mail, but I contacted our Firearms Technology Branch (FTB) and was advised the following:

"ATF has classified the Dragunov stock as “sportingâ€￾. As such, it can legally be attached to an SKS rifle.â€￾

If you have any further questions, please call them on 304-260-1700. Regards,

Sent: Wednesday, October 19, 2005 8:33 AM
To: EPS Directorate
Subject: FW: SKS Dragunov Stocks

·
Registered
11,922 Posts
Wow. They seem to change their minds by the week. An answer on paper signed in ink is probably the only thing that would actually back you up if someone tried to make accusations.

There might still be an issue if attached to a Yugoslav M59/66 with bayonet and grenade launcher. It is allowed in its condition only because it is classified as a Curio and Relic. Putting it in a dragunov stock would un-C&R it, and while the stock would be ok, the GL and Bayo would suddenly not be.

I'm sorry that this is all so retarded, but I wasn't of voting age when these wretched laws were being made.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's why I posted it, because there seem to be different answers all the time.
I think the lesson is probably....leave it alone and buy an AK variant if that's what you want.
You are probably right on target with 59/66, too. I actually sold my M59/66 and kept my M59 in case I go out to Cali.

·
Registered
11,922 Posts
Legalities aside, it's way more practical to customize an AK than an SKS. Balance and trigger group if fothing else.

·
Registered
11,922 Posts
A straighter stock might make all the difference. I for some time hated the AK, then I found out I had just shot one of the worst specimens imaginable that had been bubbad even more yet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts