Attn: CZ-52 Owners, Please check your frames

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by 10MikeyMike, Sep 3, 2002.

1. 10MikeyMike

10MikeyMike Guest

I recently posted a message indicating I had experienced a cracked frame on my CZ-52 twice on two different frames in the very same place. Since then, I've received a few replies indicating other owners have noticed this same problem

Check you frame on the left side just behind the feed ramp in the frame rail area. This is the thin section of metal that has a hole in it to let the tab on the hold open catch ride on the magazine follower. Look for a hairline crack that runs from the top of the frame to the hole for the tab on the hold open catch. Please post your findings.

2. Dennis

Dennis G&G Evangelist

Texas
    10 m m
    Those cracks are nothing to worry about.
    on some old Star pistols(spanish) they used to mill a cut in the same area so instead of a jagged crack it was a controlled cut.
    A crack in that location is nothing unusual. as long as there is no interference with the unlocking cam (which appears to be impossible)
    I dont see any reason to stop shooting your pistol.
    If it starts to crack at the front of the magazine well at the top then maybe think about setting it aside.
    If it makes ya nervous then maybe you should get a different type of pistol.
    I am not concerned about my personal CZ 52.

3. 10MikeyMike

10MikeyMike Guest

Dennis,

Thanks for your comments. While I can't imagine how the cracks have developed, I also can't imagine how they could be of any harm. I looked at my old frame last night. Coincidentally, Mac of Mac's Restorations parkerized it when he refinished the new frame. Oddly enough, the cracks are in exactly the same place and are identical in their shape. I put the slide assembly on the old frame and cycled it several times. Afterwards, I noticed there was some wearing of the parkerizing right at the very top of the crack. Do you think the slide could be causing this problem? Regardless, this has to be the flimsiest part of the entire frame. I have believe that if this area was under great pressure or stress, it would have been made much beefier. Is your CZ-52 cracked in the area above the hold open catch?

4. Dennis

Dennis G&G Evangelist

Texas
    One is and one is not (unfired)
    Things like this happen from time to time. It is good that you notice such things and ask questions about it.

5. 10MikeyMike

10MikeyMike Guest

I went to pick up my new "handpicked" CZ-52 from SOG yesterday. While at the dealer, I removed the slide and guess what? The frame was cracked in exactly the same place as both of my other frames. Needless to say, I didn't buy it. Instead, I bought a beautiful Polish Tokarev TT-33. I'm coming to the conclusion that the crack is nothing more than a characteristic stress crack. I'm going to continue to shoot my CZ-52 and stop looking at the crack every time I clean the gun

6. blackbird1100

blackbird1100 Guest

CZ-52 Frame crack?

I checked my CZ's frame after reading these posts. At first look with a naked eye, I saw what appeared to be a crack. Closer inspection with a magnifier revealed a small milled ridge from the top of the frame down across the hole and continuing down through the mag well. Although I do not apparently have any frame cracks, I will inspect this area from now on after firing.
    :target:

7. 10MikeyMike

10MikeyMike Guest

Blackbird, if you are referring to the milled ridge on the inside of the magwell, I have that too. The crack that concerns me is on the outside of the frame in the very thin section of metal just above the hole where the slide stop tab protrudes through the frame to ride on the magazine follower. If there's a crack it should be easily visible running from the top of the frame to the bottom of the frame above the hole. It's about 1/4" in length.