Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Since 03-15- 2002
28,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Entrance wound. Obviously 12 ga slug, Big hole.

The slug entered the top right shoulder from a down hill shot as the deer was quartering up hill. The 1oz foster busted the spine in 1/2 anchoring the deer on the spot. No exit wound.

Next step. Weigh an unfired slug and the remains of the fired 1oz slug for comparison.

*Take your guesses on how much was left.

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Nice detail pic's Jerry. Now that'll be a lot of steaks, summer sausage and maybe jerky, too. :cheer:

·
Since 03-15- 2002
28,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks man, saved to fav's. I also have Ted Nugent's kill it and grill it. Going simple tonight. I have a backstrap wrapped in bacon on the coals, some Zatarans red beans and rice & a veggie (still undecided)

·
Since 03-15- 2002
28,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oxford said:
Nice detail pic's Jerry. Now that'll be a lot of steaks, summer sausage and maybe jerky, too. :cheer:
My brother has a recipie for sausage, pretty easy. I actually have never made jerky on my own. any recommendations?

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
You mean.......an animal had to die to get meat.......just what are you trying to say here....

Actually, just had some nice mesquite grilled venison ham steaks tonight.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Well Jerry you might wanna try this it's called "Biltong" and is south african jerky.
I have made some for the canadians and they love it.
you cut you meat into strips about an inch thick and 5-10 inches long then you pour some vinegar, coarse salt, brown sugar and correander to taste. leave it overnight. Next you hang it to cure in your garage and if you live in an damp environment you might wanna put some fans on the meat to keep it from getting mouldy. Let this hang for a couple of days till dry and you'll never eat jerky again, this stuff is gr8!!
Hounddwag will tell ya

·
Banned
14,554 Posts
I grew up in the desert, and we used to make jerky on our roof. Beef, venison, whatever. We'd cut it into strips about 1/2"- 3/4" thick; rub it in garlic and black pepper; hang the strips over the dowels of a wooden rack; stick it up on the roof inside a cage with screening on the inside of the frame to keep the flies off, and chicken wire on the outside of the frame to keep the cats from going thru the screen. Oh yes: drip pan on the bottom. You'd be amazed how much fat will drip out of a supposedly lean piece of meat in that summer sun.

We'd leave it up for a few days until it was rock hard, and it kept forever. Couldn't chew it, though, unless you were simply stubborn. We either broke off chunks as we hiked, and sucked on them like hard candy as they slowly dissolved, or broke up strips and threw them into a pot with a few veggies for trail dinner.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts