close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

avage 110

Discussion in 'Savage' started by olcop, Jan 1, 2018.

1. olcop

olcop G&G Evangelist

I have a couple of these that need the stock refinished, (see other posts) so I was wondering if improving the rifles by adding an aftermarket adjustable trigger and a Boyds stock will enhance the sales value or not, ie: with the addition of these improvements will I still have a $250.00 rifle--I don't want to spend $300.00 and still have a $250.00 rifle.
    Thanks for any suggestions, opinions or advice, it will be appreciated.
    olcop
    should be "Savage" obiviously
    oc

Rocky7, Dutch and jwrauch like this.
  2. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Evangelist

Hmmm Sounds like it will depend on the future buyer. Those improvements like a new Boyd's stock and a Timney trigger will really set you back. Boyd's offers many attractive stocks though. Might not get what the rifle is really worth unless selling it yourself.

3. Ron The Legend

Ron The Legend G&G Enthusiast

I too don't want to put a 100$ trigger on a 200$ Axis rifle. Just cheap I guess. It's a good shooter except for the poor trigger. I've refinished quite a few stocks with true oil. 27 coats over a months time on one. Looks great but sanded off the old checkering and left it plain. I think I'll try changing out the trigger spring myself and Ark. stone the surfaces.

Rocky7 likes this.
  4. rando

rando G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Maryland
    First of all I like the Savage M110. I remember buying the 7mm magnum package and was one of the most accurate out of the box rifles back at that time. They came with the scope and sling. The value depends on the person owning it or who wants to own it. I have bought quite a few Boyds stocks and many Timney triggers for sport Mauser rifles Ii have built. I don't mind sinking a lot of money into a rifle I personally built and I get the satisfaction out of it. It is not worth trying to ever resell one to make a profit. It wont happen. There are so many nice bolt action rifles on the market today and to me they are very cheaply priced for the purpose and to own one. Back years ago you didn't have as many choices. Being an older model 110 I would not upgrade the rifles for resale and try and make a profit. I would upgrade if I were going to keep them though. That being said the M110 is a very nice rifle and I would do whatever you see fit but not plan on making money from a resale.

texnmidwest, Rocky7, Dutch and 2 others like this.
  5. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

My 2 cents says that you would be lucky to get back 1/2 of what you put into it unless it is something totally unique, and a run of the mill Boyd's stock and a Timney trigger on a Savage 110 does not qualify as something totally unique.

6. SUBMOA

SUBMOA G&G Evangelist

I would take the time and refinish the stock unless it is beyond hope. Also if I am not mistaken the 110 trigger can be adjusted by a gunsmith. I have seen many a beautiful refinish. Just a couple of ideas to kick around.

Ron The Legend and rando like this.
  7. Ron Eagle Elk

Ron Eagle Elk G&G Evangelist

I am assuming here, and that's a dangerous thing to do, that your stocks are wood. If they are a good walnut or another nicely figured wood, then, by all means refinish. Take care not to damage the checkering, or have the checkering redone. If your stocks are one of the modern plastic stocks, trash them and get something that you like.

I don't know if the Savage Accu-Trigger is available as an after market item or not. The Accu-Trigger is actually a really good trigger out of the box. I shoot a Savage Model 10 FCP-SR that came with the Accu-Trigger. The plastic stock was trashed almost immediately (it wasn't the Accu-Stock) and replaced with a Bell and Carlson stock. That added more weight than I liked so I just switched it over to a MDT LSS Chassis system. Love that set up. Light weight, rock solid, and more accurate than I am.

Attached Files:

rando, ChaZam and Ron The Legend like this.
  8. olcop

olcop G&G Evangelist

No, they are synthetic, I know they can be refinished and I've seen the number if videos on you tube, they're just scuffed and nicked up enough that they look kinda tired.
    If they were wood, I'd have no problem with doing the refinish, but, I've never tried to refinish synthetic. But, it did occur to me that by the time I bought all the supplies, primer,paint etc, I might be approaching the price of a Boyds stock.
    olcop

9. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

if they haven't lost accuracy, or have wandering shots as you shoot them, I would just leave them alone.

the only reason I would pay more than 200$ for a 110 is if it have a scope on it I wanted.

10. Ron Eagle Elk

Ron Eagle Elk G&G Evangelist

You can do a rattle can refinish of the plastic stocks that looks pretty darn good. I know Rustoleum and Krylon make several colors of flat camouflage colors that take very little work and take a pretty good beating.

Ron The Legend likes this.
  11. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Ron Eagle Elk likes this.
  12. olcop

olcop G&G Evangelist

I'm not trying to make a profit, just trying to make them easier to sell----I'm getting too old and disabled to use them anymore, so I'm just looking to move them at current value---any ideas?
    Thanks
    olcop

13. Ron The Legend

Clean the bores and action. Don't sink anymore money into them. When I buy guns I don't care about the stock. I can always install a stock, repaint to my liking not yours. If they have scopes and they are cheap ones you won't get any more than if they are good ones so leave them on. A cheap scope can always be put on a .22 when I see one on a rifle with potential.

rando and ChaZam like this.
  14. Rocky7

Rocky7 G&G Evangelist

Alberta
    I have a Savage 110C that I really like. It has been refinished, rebarrelled and has a new Rifle Basix trigger. Why? Because it has sentimental value for me. It's a real good shooter and the refinished wood stock looks pretty good. However, you asked about money.

No, don't spend $300 on it. Custom work never pays back in full (not for me, anyway) and that is doubly true for Savage. Other than maybe a nice Model 99 in the right calibre with nice sights or perhaps one of the new long range models, it's just not a brand that people will pay for.

15. Ron The Legend

Didn't make the trip to Texas today. Did work on the Axis 22.250 today. Clipped the trigger spring to lighten the pull. Better but not perfect yet. Took the 3x9 scope off and put the 6x Weaver on. Simple for quick shots and powerful enough. Really clear. Reloaded 22.250's today with 55 gr. sp and 12 grains of Trail boss. Reduced load. Sounds like a .22 mag. Haven't Crony graphed it today but 4 shots in 1 1/2 " at 50 yards. Will keep y'all informed.

16. olcop

olcop G&G Evangelist

Can you tell me what this post has to do with the question I asked?
    olcop

17. Ron The Legend

Nothin I guess. Thought a lighter trigger on an older 110 might help resale. Sorry to get carried away.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018 at 9:32 PM