Awesome shooting day

Discussion in 'Mosin Nagant' started by savage1r, Aug 24, 2010.

1. savage1r

savage1r G&G Regular

A friend of my dad's was visiting from Hawaii and picked up 2 mosins; one for himself and another for his son. We took them out to the looooong range up here and each of us was able to hit the 1000 yard gong with iron sights on his newly purchased MN. I brought a friend of mine who hadn't shot before and he got the 1000 yard gong on his 5th try. He's going to be picking up one of his own VERY soon. The mosinitis is spreading ;)

2. jack007

jack007 G&G Addict

Wow that sounds cool 1000 yards with irons

3. nice! i couldn't see that far with a telescope!

4. Adam Roth

Adam Roth G&G Newbie

Wow... That's pretty impressive. Don't take offense if I find the story hard to believe, 'cause it certainly is. Won't say it didn't happen, just had to be there I guess.

5. savage1r

savage1r G&G Regular

Well Adam, the great thing is that there were 4 witnesses plus the 2 other guys at the range watching us. I took some video, I'll put that up next week probably.

6. Adam Roth

Adam Roth G&G Newbie

I didn't say it didn't happen or wasn't possible, just highly unlikely. 1000 yds on 5th shot with iron sights having never shot before is quite a feat. I will be more than happy to watch your video.

7. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist

Don't you have to hold it like 25-30 feet above the target to hit it at 1000 yards?

8. Sober

Sober G&G Newbie

That must be one BIG A$$ GONG!!! LOL

9. sncstealth

sncstealth G&G Newbie

i think at 850 its like 32 feet

10. YugoCrazy

YugoCrazy G&G Newbie

it's 25 Feet @ 850 And 32 Feet @ 1000

11. franchi

franchi Guest

how far do the iron sights go out to?

12. savage1r

savage1r G&G Regular

At the 1000 yard gong, we had the sights set at 9, at the 480 yard bison we had the sights set at 4.

13. savage1r

savage1r G&G Regular

Ok, bear with me, this is just a quick and dirty. My dad's buddy who just picked up two mosins, we shot the 480, 880, and 1000 yard targets and I only got video of the 880 yard bear so this is him dinging it his 2nd shot.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgcnCaAUxiA"]YouTube- 880 yards open sights by Freddie[/ame]

14. Sober

Sober G&G Newbie

I think each number stands for 100 meters so the 10 ( which is the highest)is 1000 meters. But don't quote me on the cause its just an educated guess really.

^ Savage I dont understand why would you set the sights to 650m If its 880 yards? 650 m is only like 710 yds is that just a typo in the video or something?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  15. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

Geez, what a bunch of naysayers !!

16. savage1r

savage1r G&G Regular

Well Sober, you have to figure that the sight adjustment on these puppies isn't exactly right on. 650 just happened to be what we got the hits on. I had it up at 8, then 7, then we pushed it down to 650 and started hearing dings. I know that my dad's mosin is dead on at 300 yards on a 100m setting so, in at least my case, you have to search around for the given yardage.