Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Devil's Advocate >:)
7,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I took my concealed handgun class and I must say that I really loved it. Well not sitting in class listening to lecture, but the range time was awesome. It seemed like a day doomed from the beginning. I almost couldn't find the place and got there exactly at 7:30am and everybody had already taken their pictures and were filling out papers. At 9:00am we went to the range and of course as soon as we were ready to start shooting it started raining...at an angle. Everything from the knee down got soaked. Then when the rain slacked and we actually started shooting I was having a little trouble with my pistol. I thought it was the trigger, but I just had to readjust my hand placement since I had on gloves (this also made me fall behind 10 shots). My first ten shots were perfect, got 5 points for them all. Then we moved out to 5 yards and my shots started going down and to the left and some of them even off the circle. I didn't know what was going on and the instructor kept looking at me like I didn't know what I was doing. When we got to 15 yards I adjusted and was able to make them all in the circle. At that time the instructor walked by and asked which eye I was closing and I said my right eye. And then she had an "ah ha!" moment. Turns out I'm right hand dominant but left eye dominant. She moved me to the other side of the table to finish up the 10 shots from 3 yards and I shot the center circle clean out (I guess I could also tuck my chin). What an improvement! Anyways, sorry this is a long story. I just want everyone to know I LOVE MY GUN!!!:rocketwhore:

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Sounds like a good time at the range, despite the weather!

Glad to hear you enjoyed it. As the guy on "Shooter's Corner"?... well, it's some show on OLN, says, "Keep 'em in the ten ring. *wink*"
:D

·
Banned
14,554 Posts
That dominant-eye thing can be confusing

I'm left-handed, but right-eye dominant. So I shoot right-handed anyway, which is a lucky thing in a world of right-handed bolt-action milsurp's.

Congrat's on making it thru the class.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I have a feeling that I am also left eye dominant, right handed... I have a hard time hitting a bullseye with my pistol, but I don't want to start shooting left handed.

Is there a way to shoot with your left eye while holding the pistol right handed (can I just shift the gun over a little bit left??)

·
7,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a feeling that I am also left eye dominant, right handed... I have a hard time hitting a bullseye with my pistol, but I don't want to start shooting left handed.

Is there a way to shoot with your left eye while holding the pistol right handed (can I just shift the gun over a little bit left??)
Where I shoot at each individual table makes a V shape and you can either shoot on the right or left of the V. What my instructor told me was to move to the right side of the table. Usually they like for right handed shooters to be on the left side. If this is not the case for your range, what one of the guys told me was to tuck my chin to my right shoulder and that also helps. You might also need to get your rear sight adjusted for you. Hope that helps.

·
Firearm Affectionado
4,232 Posts
Congratulations! I was lucky when I did my class. It was in an indoor range. I also shoot with both eyes open fortunately. I am right handed and right eye dominant. Our instructor was a retired Texas State Trooper and he made it fun and interesting with all his stories. Have fun! :cool:

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
TexasT, thanks for the advice.

By tucking my chin to my right shoulder, am I still looking out of my right eye?

·
7,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are you right eye dominant or left? If you're left eye dominant then you look out of your left eye (assuming you only use one eye).

·
Premium Member
1,796 Posts
Hip Hip Haree for Texas T. Congrats!!!!!
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men/women do nothing

·
7,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
7,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)

·
Firearm Affectionado
4,232 Posts
^That's how Hirashio on CSI Miami shoots. lol

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Awesome! Thanks for the advice :D

Oh, and just to be perfectly clear...I am doing this while holding the gun right handed and closing my right eye, looking down with my left eye, right? :)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts