close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

B.O.B.'s

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by PAPA G, May 6, 2002.

1. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

we all need to have one for when the sky falls. and all i have read on the subject seems suited to a single guy. what about single women? families with kids and babies??? how much portablity to sacrifice to maintain needs of those in your own family pod??? whaddayatink??

2. SPOCAHP ANAR

SPOCAHP ANAR G&G Enthusiast

HUH

Alright I know I am going to regret this later but....

What are B.O.B.'s?

3. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

It's your basic "Bug Out Bag", which we all have stashed and ready, right? Living in Hurricane Land down here in Florida, we have them for those occasional forced road trips inland. The idea being to be ready to evacuate on a moments notice. Everyone's needs vary, so your bag won't be setup quite like mine.
    This includes having stuff for your pets, if you plan to take them, too.

4. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

Hay big dog...as a fellow Floridian I too keep a few boxes of emergency supplies...just in case. I just spent $100 resupplying it for the Happy Season. I have kids and dogs so I have the basics..flashlights....candles first aid kit ect. I also have a coleman stove ad watter jugs. a weeks supply of canned food...stuff like that.
    That only think I do diffrent than most folks is I also keep a small firearm box...few pistols a rifle and a shotgun and ammo witht he other stuff so I can have some protection for me and my family should we have to go to a shelter.

5. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

I guess its just me but the priorities I have set if I have to pull out are simple: Me, Pets, Guns (all of them), As much ammo As I can pack in the time allowed.

6. Big Dog

Bob, I didn't get serious about this til my sister's property flooded back in the 93/94 floods. I had a Mazda pickup, and found it just not adequate for those muddy roads. Traded it in on a Dodge Ramcharger 4X4, then started getting more Survival oriented. I've only sunk my truck once (how was I to know that puddle was 4 feet deep?), and now I have a good plan for evacuation that involves no Interstate Highways. Those are death-traps in a storm evacuation!
    Luckily, my sister gets two or three days warning of a flood. The local lakes take a little time to fill before overflowing. Problem is, she's smack in the middle of a (usually dry) river bed. Too much invested in the property to move yet. Her retirement property is high and dry, though. :D

7. BenP

BenP G&G Newbie

Papa G,

I figured out a while back to stash supplies in strategic locations away from where I am now, and keep up a means of getting to them. That's why I rebuilt the Burb, cuz it goes just about anywhere now, pavement or cross country, and it'll haul a load securely, too.

It ain't too hard nor expensive to build a couple of survival packs and put them where I can get to them easy enough, yet keep them from being found out by others (the Blackbeard approach works best). All I need is a compass and a map, or a GPS is nice.

It helps to keep track of where a good livestock supply is, too. Hunting is fine, but in a survival situation, convenience sure will help.

There's way too many resources out there for figuring out what to pack, what to do, for a deep discussion here. The SAS Urban Survival and such are good references, but a person needs to read these and then start thinking for themself what needs to be done to suit them.

As far as kids go, I feel pretty confident about cutting mine loose if need be and letting them fend for themselves. Sure, I'd rather be able to provide them with security in an emergency situation, but I figured the best I could do for them was to teach them the skills and the thought processes they'd need to make it. I do that and make sure they have access to the kinds of items that they'll need to make it out alive, and then they're about as likely to make it as I am.

8. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

Don't forget the Bud

Papa G:

Here on the Kansas/Missouri border we have to look up at the sky regularly this time of the year. We're right in what's known as tornado alley. Last night was typical with tornado watches, warnings, etc. We hear them so much that I mostly ignore them. That's probably not a good idea but I'd be sitting in my basement shaking all the time otherwise.

What I'd want in my B.O.B. would be enough beer to settle my nerves down, tums because of drinking too much beer, flashlights, steel helmet, leather gloves, wrecking bar, and some food. If the house fell down over my family and I there would be lots of debris to remove...thus the wrecking bar.

Oxford :nod:

9. Big Dog

Here in Florida, our biggest enemy is water. We keep lots of cleaning gear and bleach handy, for cleanup and disinfecting things. A good emergency water supply is critical. Once the well gets contaminated, it can take days or weeks to get it clean again.
    When the storms are on the way, all the guns get cased and ready for evac. I've got plastic heavy-duty storage cases for most of my gear. Loading the truck can be done quickly.
    Don't forget prescription medicines, cash (ATM's don't work in a power outage!), important papers. And T.P.! You'd be amazed how many people forget that endearing little luxury.
    Though nylon bags are the rage now, I prefer the good old GI canvas bags. They are a lot tougher, and cheaper.

10. PAPA G

BenP... that sounds like a real good plan having stashes here and there. and training the kids in the techniques and what to do is good too. but i would keep everyone together as long as possible, strength in numbers you know.:assult: :nod:

11. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

Papa G, strength in numbers is a great idea. My family has a pre-designated place to meet. We all have the same firearms so the logistics won't be a nightmare. As Big Dog has said, I own a CJ-7, and have rigged it for the worst of conditions. Winch, tow strap, lights, generator, on-board air compressor, on-board welder, shower attachment, and various other things. I learned a long time ago that I would much rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

12. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

one tip I learned while on the rubicon one year if your going to the trouble of keeping a generator on board keep an extra battery and jumper cables plus a few hangers -- the hangers can serve a few purposes but the one I found welcome was using it as a welding rod to repair an axle -- it works as a crude arc welder with the extra battery and cables

13. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

WOW, I FINALLY FOUND PEOPLE WHO THINK LIKE ME! WHEN EVERYONE THOUGHT Y2K WAS GONNA BE A BIG PROBLEM I WENT AND GOT AMMO,CANNED FOOD ,WATER AND OTHER ESSENTIALS.EVERYONE LAUGHED UNTIL 2 DAYS BEFORE THE INFAMOUS DAY THEN I GOT CALLS FROM PEOPLE ASKING IF THERE WAS ANY "PROBLEMS" COULD THEY COME OVER? I SAID FIRST COME FIRST SERVE AND I'LL ONLY ACCEPT TWO FRIENDS. THE TWO THAT SHOWED BROUGHT STUFF AND PLENTY OF BUD LIGHT FOR AFTER MIDNITE IF WE DIDN'T GO UP IN FLAMES AS PREDICTED. THE TWO THAT CAME OVER HAS SINCE BECOME MY BEST FRIENDS AND THEY SEE BEING PREPARED WAS WORTH THE PEACE OF MIND . THE OTHER PEOPLE LAUGH AND SAY SEE I TOLD YOU EVERYTHING WOULD BE ALRIGHT! I TOLD THEM I'LL REMEMBER THAT IN THE NEXT EMERGENCY OR NATURAL DISASTER WHEN THEY CALL ME ASKING IF THERES ANY ROOM. THERES ONLY ROOM FOR FAMILY AND MY TWO FREINDS!

14. wes

wes G&G Newbie

One of the reasons I live so close to the mountains,I can be outta here in a half hour and disappear.

15. 7mmag6

7mmag6 G&G Newbie

the sky is not going to fall, the american military is so strong. the afghan war saw maybe 5% of our strength, no one in thier right
    mind will challenge americas might, we are the strongest military
    on the face of this earth, bar none, so you see some of our boys fighting for our way of live, and God Bless them, how many m1a2
    abrams do you think we have --20, 000 our armed forces is unfathnable i flew b-52 s in nam, our armed forces are beyond belief, we are the the strongest best prepared Milititary ever in history, there is know one on the face of this planet that is even close, dont be paranoid

16. PAPA G

so how come the little yellow man is there and we ain't? victor charlie and his third world force, won out over the US and all we could throw at them!! :fuss: :assult:

17. BenP

BenP G&G Newbie

Yep Papa G, determination is a more important factor than logistical superiority. That's why, in my post earlier, I referred to what all that military power means if it were turned against us.

7mmMag, what're you gonna do if they roll those tanks down your street while some 18year old is kicking down your door demanding that you surrender all your weapons? If push comes to shove, would you be willing to live like dogs to fight against tyranny and oppression? I think right now we have more to fear from our own government than we do from the Chinese.

Papa G, all things considered, I'd rather have my family intact. Since we don't live our lives that way now (Me and Wife are at least 20 miles from our kids every weekday), I would hope that my kids would look to survive first, and find mom and dad when convenient. That's how I trained them.

18. PAPA G

BenP sounds like a plan to me, its good that they know what to do, and how to do it? but i would rather not see those circumstances.

19. BenP

BenP G&G Newbie

I'm with you. Hope for the best, plan for the worst.

I've raved enough for the day, I think it might be time to post a few recipes here pretty soon.

20. TKH

TKH G&G Newbie

I don't think anyone is doubting the strength of the military. If you look at the posts you'll see a lot of them are adressing the possibilities of natural disaster. If the military has come up with some way to prevent that, I'll surely take my hat off to them!

The fact is, sometimes things happen that suspend our vital services (water, gas, elec., etc) and it is good to be able to sustain yourself until such services can be restored.

Having a plan and the necessary means to fulfill that plan is half the battle. If you sit and wait for someone to come help, you might be waiting the rest of your life.

No, the sky is not falling, and no one is worried about camel riders invading the country and riding down main street. The fact that so many citizens are armed and willing to fight makes that a very remote possibility. But being prepared for any situation is not paranoid. Food, water, shelter, and the means to defend yourself and your loved ones are utmost priorities, in any kind of situation.

(P.S. to Wes, If it does hit the fan, honk and wave. I'll be in the black F-150 heading the same direction as you!!)

OK, now for the poll. I tried this with the guys (the ones that understand this stuff) and got some interesting food for thought , so now for you guys:

A nuclear device is detonated in the continental US. Widespread panic, looting, etc has ensued. No one is sure if it's an accident, a terrorist attack or what. You have to leave your residence and survive for an unknown legenth of time. You are safe from fall-out, you just need to eat and protect yourself. You have been able to take 3 long guns and one handgun. What are your choices and why?