Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Deb n I headed north to the Canadian border to do some ice fishing(as if Minnesota wasn’t cold enough).
We drove the ice road across Lake of the Woods, then skirted the Canadian border until we got back out on the frozen lake. Tomorrow we start fishing for three days.
Deb has never been to Canada so she stepped around the marker, which by the way is in the middle of the road, and I took her picture. The border crossing is closed to fishermen so the resort owners plowed a road across the ice to get access for their sport fishermen. DA582C79-8BB9-486C-BB70-BACB4BC7DD45.jpeg
F5103977-51AE-423A-8A6D-1581EC0087BC.jpeg CAE3205A-161E-467C-A33A-58FA7EF82AAD.jpeg 23857BF3-4539-4DC4-AC0C-0DFE9FEBE1EA.jpeg

·
Wonderment :)
32,912 Posts
Rambo: Sir; not bad enough to freeze the “baby” 😜. Now freezing “Deb’Rambo” 😳
you ain’t right hahaha 🦈
Ive been to the southern “bubble” 😃

Take pictures 😇. Bring her home “thawed “ 😎 with all toes n fingers 😇

·
Premium Member
9,513 Posts
So I hope you brought an ice fishing tent Tom. Make Deb comfortable on the ice trail so she wants o do it again. Are you trying for Northern Pike. Any trout ? I am wondering what lurks under the ice. Send some pics if you can. I hope you brought a gas auger with you and coffee pot with potable stove.

·
Premium Member
18,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is Debs trip so we are staying at a resort, meals included and using their fishing shacks. Our daughter and her husband are here as well. A little more luxury than I’m used to but she’ll love it. Three full days of fishing and being catered to.

·
Premium Member
18,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cold today with the wind. Set tip up and caught a 33” northern, released it. We caught several northern under 30” we kept, and quite a few walleye around the 14-16” range. Kids are having walleye tonight but Deb wants the prime rib. Gonna split with the kids as I want walleye too. 0A8319EC-B31D-48EC-B43E-F829F9615B13.jpeg 724A46F9-68A1-479A-9EA5-9032004EBB5F.jpeg CBE85738-1716-4D9E-A19B-0E995E5B221D.jpeg

·
32,912 Posts
Rambo: Sir; 🦈 you got a nice’un 😎🐳. Too. That place looks barren 😳.
Stories and pictures 😁 When you can 🌟

·
Premium Member
18,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just got home. Was a bit tricky. Since Canada closed the border crossing, the ingenuity of American know how came in to play. The fishing resorts in the Northwest Angle got together and plowed a road across the ice on Lake of the Woods to get access to their resorts. Deb, myself, our daughter, son-in-law and his brother n wife decided to do our part and visit those resorts. We chose Sunset Lodge.
Deb n I fished out of a fish house and the kids fished out of another. We caught a lot of fish and had it for dinner two different nights. Deb caught the biggest walleye and I caught the biggest northern and yellow perch. The kids caught more walleye(there were 4 of them so......).
Weather was nice for this time of year. Of course we are inside for most of it.
The return trip today almost did not happen. The pressure ridge under one of the ice bridges shifted and the ice bridge was no longer passable. We followed the plow truck to the spot, used the big v blade and slammed in to the makeshift bridge, pushing it back in to place, then drove each pickup over it. After we got on the south side of the makeshift bridge, it was closed for further repairs. The ice keeps shifting and everyday the route is checked, closing and opening when possible.
Our group made it home this afternoon. Deb has a new found respect for ice fishermen and their patience during times of no biting. She found having access to music really helps pass the time. C6CF21B0-85EA-4781-924B-DAF3739BB886.jpeg 6850A067-31D8-4951-98E1-DFB87175CE1F.jpeg 2205A519-5F12-44E3-B131-BD00A9618227.jpeg 4C63AD3A-BC7D-4991-82E4-D613C3F0B1FD.jpeg 8C5F1D43-B5CA-4382-9CDF-EA5D2623411E.jpeg 5D08C910-6F72-4C9F-BEFF-7DA4BD0AECD7.jpeg BCBB0B41-8C00-4204-AC0F-28DF6A25ECCB.jpeg B495CCDF-D90E-40A2-BD2C-79F9E67B7726.jpeg

·
Premium Member
9,513 Posts
Just got home. Was a bit tricky. Since Canada closed the border crossing, the ingenuity of American know how came in to play. The fishing resorts in the Northwest Angle got together and plowed a road across the ice on Lake of the Woods to get access to their resorts. Deb, myself, our daughter, son-in-law and his brother n wife decided to do our part and visit those resorts. We chose Sunset Lodge.
Deb n I fished out of a fish house and the kids fished out of another. We caught a lot of fish and had it for dinner two different nights. Deb caught the biggest walleye and I caught the biggest northern and yellow perch. The kids caught more walleye(there were 4 of them so......).
Weather was nice for this time of year. Of course we are inside for most of it.
The return trip today almost did not happen. The pressure ridge under one of the ice bridges shifted and the ice bridge was no longer passable. We followed the plow truck to the spot, used the big v blade and slammed in to the makeshift bridge, pushing it back in to place, then drove each pickup over it. After we got on the south side of the makeshift bridge, it was closed for further repairs. The ice keeps shifting and everyday the route is checked, closing and opening when possible.
Our group made it home this afternoon. Deb has a new found respect for ice fishermen and their patience during times of no biting. She found having access to music really helps pass the time. View attachment 160663 View attachment 160664 View attachment 160665 View attachment 160666 View attachment 160667 View attachment 160668 View attachment 160669 View attachment 160670
Nice batch of fish there Tom. That one 33" Northern looks really big. That is crazy about the little home made access bridge. Does not look like it would support the truck. Good job and looks like fun for sure.

·
Premium Member
18,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice batch of fish there Tom. That one 33" Northern looks really big. That is crazy about the little home made access bridge. Does not look like it would support the truck. Good job and looks like fun for sure.
Thanks. My son-in-law and I got our half ton pickups across. As we were driving away, a 3/4 ton dually pulling a trailer with two sleds was heading to that makeshift bridge. I wonder if he tried or did make it across.

·
Premium Member
9,513 Posts
Thanks. My son-in-law and I got our half ton pickups across. As we were driving away, a 3/4 ton dually pulling a trailer with two sleds was heading to that makeshift bridge. I wonder if he tried or did make it across.
I hear Ya. Mine is a 1/2 ton also. That dually would have some tire hanging over and heavier truck also. Then pulling a trailer sounds crazy. You cant hit it fast and have to creep so bridge wont move. I guess the water is deep enough to lose the truck.

·
Premium Member
18,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I hear Ya. Mine is a 1/2 ton also. That dually would have some tire hanging over and heavier truck also. Then pulling a trailer sounds crazy. You cant hit it fast and have to creep so bridge wont move. I guess the water is deep enough to lose the truck.
Maybe 70’ deep. We drove with our seatbelts off and doors ajar because I don’t trust anything. The ice is 18” thick but there are these pressure ridges shifting all the time.

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
Rambo,
I have one question: :unsure: Since you crossed into Canada, bypassing the official checkpoints, and crossed back into the USA, bypassing the official checkpoints, does that mean you are now an illegal alien?

Anyway, it looks like you all had a great time, and even better doing so with the family.

Your "ice bridge crossing" brings one word to mind: Hovercraft

·
Premium Member
18,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Rambo,
I have one question: :unsure: Since you crossed into Canada, bypassing the official checkpoints, and crossed back into the USA, bypassing the official checkpoints, does that mean you are now an illegal alien?

Anyway, it looks like you all had a great time, and even better doing so with the family.

Your "ice bridge crossing" brings one word to mind: Hovercraft
B0A7A255-44FA-4112-AFA4-FA2CEAE7424A.jpeg
C3FC2A3C-23BC-4054-824E-9AC06380B336.jpeg
Probably. The road across the ice is in Minnesota but the road through the forest is cut right on the border between Canada and the US. The markers are sometimes in the middle of the road so you pass on the US side or the Canadian side, depending on how much brush is cleared.
B0A7A255-44FA-4112-AFA4-FA2CEAE7424A.jpeg
C3FC2A3C-23BC-4054-824E-9AC06380B336.jpeg

·
32,912 Posts
Rambo: Sir; 😁 What fun 🌞 Thanks for sharing 😃
💃 Share with “Deb’Rambo” 🕺 Music on the ice =‘s ice dancing 🕺💃
called the SLIDE 😇

1 - 19 of 19 Posts