Back in the saddle

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by jerry, Oct 4, 2002.

1. jerry

jerry Since 03-15- 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    Hey all,
    Just got back last night, and sitting at work already. No rest for the wicked!

You's guys have been busy! I had to super speed skim the 234/1275 post & threads I missed. That dosent count the one day I got on line in the Azores last week.

The world is a screwed up place guys. Don't ever take for granted what we have here. I get a good appreciation check everytime I go abroad. Too many stories to tell at once. Can't say why but this is where we went.

Azores~ Spain~Crete~UK~Iceland~Newfoundland. & a last gas stop in Ottawa Canada.

This last gas stop was funny; we chalk in, get off the plane. Typically we can go in a bldg, get some coffe, take a crap (very important when all you have is a honey bucket) at any rate, were pulling on doors, ringing bells, everything is locked up. Our zipper leg (pilot) comes running over telling us to get away from the bldg. It is the hanger for the Prime Minister's Aircraft. Not good. Luckily, we didn't end up face first on the ramp.

Well,
    Good to be back :)
    Take care,
    jerry

2. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

welcome back buddy!!! that must have been a sight you guys needing some toilet time, and surrounded by security!!! :rolleyes:

3. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

Jerry: I've got to refresh my memory on where Azores is located. Sounds like you were moving around fast for a vacation or was it a "secret mission"?(ha)

Spain's a country where I'd like to visit sometime. The island of Crete might get on my wish list sometime, too. I hear Iceland is a great country to visit, as well as the province of Newfoundland.
    Oxford:nod:

4. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

Jerry: Just looked up Azores on the WEB. It's still where you left it...about half way between the U.S. Eastern coast and Portugal/Spain out in the Atlantic Oceon.(ha) The information I viewed looked like a great place for a getaway vacation. Guess this was visited on your way to Iceland and other sites.

Great vacation I would say.

Oxford:nod:

5. jerry

USA
    Oxford,

"working vacation"

The Azores is Mid- Atlantic off of Portugal. (very nice)

The folks at Crete are not real fond of us. Ma be would be different if one was away from the miltary base.

We didn't have much down time in Iceland, but seemed ok. UK, Spain, Newfoundland were all good. Some I wish we spent more time in.

6. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

I saw some of these places during my stint in Uncles Sam's Canoe Club.
    Saw the dock at the Azores - we weren't allowed off ship.
    Saw the dock at Crete - we weren't allowed off ship.
    Saw the dock at Rota, Spain - we weren't allowed off ship.

Hmmmmm . . . seems like a pattern there. :confused:

Lot's of folks didn't want the U.S. seeing their military bases back then. :mad:

Beirut was a lot friendlier - til the shooting started. :eek:

7. jerry

USA
    Big Dog,
    That's the difference in the Air Force, at least they kick us off the plane to fuel it :)

8. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

Great to see ya back...What is that Avitar? I can't seem to make it out.

9. BenP

BenP Guest

The business end of a Vulcan auto cannon.

10. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Glad ya made it back in one piece jerry! :right:

11. jerry

USA
    Close Ben P.
    The Vulcan is 20MM

This is One GAU-8/A Avenger 30MM seven barrel gun with 1,174 rounds in the A-10

Or as someone once refered to it here; one heck of a meat grider ;)

12. Mandy

Mandy FREE CITIZEN Forum Contributor

:assult: :assult: :assult: :assult: :assult:

jerry:
    Are you in the air force? Maybe we can crack that Don Q sooner than I expect, make sure that you let me know if one of your missions take you here.
    Glad to have you back.

:assult: :assult: :assult: :assult: :assult: