Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live along the Arctic Alaska Coast , in winter there isant allot to burn here and the best cooking apperatus would be a liquid fuel'd stove
If I were inland and had wood to burn, what would be the best type back packer stove to carry? Preftably a folding one.

·
Banned
1,085 Posts
I live along the Arctic Alaska Coast , in winter there isant allot to burn here and the best cooking apperatus would be a liquid fuel'd stove
If I were inland and had wood to burn, what would be the best type back packer stove to carry? Preftably a folding one.
I like alcohol stoves and this is one of the best commercial stoves:

Vargo Triad™ Titanium Alcohol Stove from Campmor

But these are better, and what I carry:

www.hikingforums.net - How to make a Pepsi can stove.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I cut an old grill insert to fit on the outside of my backpack. If you can burn wood just pill up a few rocks lay the old grill piece across them and you have a fireplace. the only part you need is the part you cook on. or if you really wont to pack light you can use green tree limbs but only after your fire is down to red coals.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I have an MSR Pocket Rocket, and its awesome. Small, lightweight, and runs off the little pancake propane/butane fuels.

Here it is at REI, although I don't like REI because they give money to the Sierra Club which shuts down our off-road trails.

MSR Pocket Rocket Backpacking Stove from REI.com

But, when it comes to compact, all inclusive and ease of use, you can't beat the JetBoil. Little thing carries everything you need inside the cup you can boil and cook in. Self-ignites so you don't need matches too.

Jet Boil at Mountaingear.com

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
If I read your post right, you are looking for a foldable, wood-burning stove. Are you planning to heat your tent/shelter with it, or to cook on?

·
Registered
7,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Little stove to cook on

I was interested in a folding stove to boil water, I made a home made one out of a couple 1qt paint cans stacked the botton acted as the draft/firebed but the main problem was tipping.
I have some those Mil surp MRE heaters and have on occasion used them to warm the kid's on long trips,
I remember one of the National Guard guy's based here had used a couple them to heat a fella who was Hypothermic during a Search & Rescue here a few years back had stuffed a couple between his ski-pants and parka to help bring him out during a Blizzard.

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
Someone makes a stove that has 4 aluminum sides and a grill top thats about 10x10x10. It's gold colored. I think its made for sterno, but would work with wood/coals. Also, be careful with the MRE heaters, as they give off fumes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts