close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

bad idea?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by johno, Mar 20, 2002.

1. johno

johno G&G Newbie

I've noticed that a dime will fit down the barrel of my 12 gauge. how bad of an idea is it to load shotgun shells up with dimes instead of shot?

2. donhamil

donhamil G&G Newbie

Slug?

Wouldn't a slug be cheaper?:)

3. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

okay you want to destroy the glasses at a dime toss in a carinval ?

4. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    stick with published load data with recomended shot and or projectiles. Not to sound like a prude, but it's absolutely not worth hurting you, your gun or someone eles. a dime out of a gun could end up like a bad slice in golf.

5. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

There is such a thing as dime shot, which are metal discs lined up. I don't know exactly how they're loaded, but I'd assume they're wadded appropriately. I wouldn't just stack dimes.

6. Armorer

Armorer Guest

Powder, wad, dimes. Works best in 20 gauges.

We used to cut a singleshot down so that the barrel was even with the front wood (5-6 inches).
    Then either cut off the stock, or add a pistol handle. Looked kinda like a modern day contender. Only way shorter.

One each hand loaded round with 13-15 DIMES stacked and crimped. Paper carteridges none of this fancy plastic stuff.

Then hang it off yer LBE, or tape it to yer leg, or butt pack. If the bird went down, or in my case , was thrown out, my 60 still hangin on the door.

You had what was known as "Last change charlie".

You could carry a round in each pocket, and wouldnt notice them. With yer shrimp squares, Gorilla cookies, matches, and C-rat cigs they just sank to the bottom or the pocket.

In regular everyday life, lets not! No Need to explain to the man why yer shotgun barrel looks like daffy duck just stuck his finger in it.

7. Lonegun1894

Lonegun1894 G&G Newbie

Gents,
    I know this post is old now but just in case anyone cares. I've loaded 12 ga shells with dimes, and a few with pennies--trying to be cheaper. Both went out the muzzle just fine. Same time, this seemed like the gretest thing til we decided to pattern these things. Patterns SUCKED. Penetration on watermelons was a joke past 15 yds. As a novelty idea, go for it. As something to hunt or defend yourself with, dont waste your time or money. These sound much better than they performed. We tried these with about half a dozen different 12 ga shotguns. A NEF single-shot, a Mossy, a Remy, a Winchester, a Benelli, and a couple others i dont remember anymore. All were consistently disappointing. I wont tell you not to try it, who knows, you might get lucky. But i know i wont put another one of these through my guns cause they're a waste of powder. Buckshot gives the performance we expected from these coin loads and does so at a much better price. It is also a lot more effective. I cant speak for the safety of these, other than that we never had any issues. But be careful, just in case. Best of luck.
    Paul

8. According to the legend that's what Billy the Kid used to shoot a deputy during a jailbreak.

In the movie Young Guns Billy the Kid shot deputy Bob with the deputy's own shotgun loaded with dimes. "Hello Bob... Good bye Bob, Boom, best dollar eighty I ever spent."

9. A dime won't pass thru a full choke.

10. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

11. And it bought so much more back then :confused:

12. Otter

Otter G&G Newbie

I experimented alot with loads in 12 gage, never dimes, but I've loaded everything from paintballs, big ben jellies, (gum drops) glazier points, and pins. The glazier points were not loaded flat but stacked in the wad on edge. They are sharp, little triangle metal pieces that fan out in a wide pattern and penatrate wood and sheet metal quite well. The important thing to remember, don't exceed the weight and powder of published loads, it doesn't take much to blow up a shotgun. Play safe.

"Life is too important to be taken seriously."

13. What about taking a suitable sized wad punch onto so conveyor belt?? Be perfect for strays in your yard you didnt wanna actually kill... Provided you had either understanding or atleast distant neibours... I had this idea 25 years ago while using a wad punch about 12 guage size to cut out bolt holes in some strips of old conveyor belt to be used as skirts on a sand plant bin. At home we had cattle, in particular a Murray Grey bull who would yodel outside my bedroom window, in a love lorn ballad for the cows. Murray Grey bulls sound like a donkey they are loud and make this stupid braying noise like a donkey and it carries for miles. I thought a couple wads of conveyor belts across his bow or in the arse woulda shut him up. I had heard of ppl loading up rock salt , dirt clods and all manner of stuff.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2005