Bad Springfield sights

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Muddog, May 12, 2008.

1. Muddog

Muddog Guest

I have a Springfield G.I. and the sights suck, the gun shoots 2-3 inches low at 15 yards. Is there anything I can do short of grinding off the front sight?

2. jmp8927

jmp8927 G&G Evangelist

Aim 2-3 inches high:09:

Sorry I just couldn't resist :bigeyes::D I can't help you, but I'm sure someone else here with experience can. Just give it a day or two.

3. Front sites

Howdy,

Before you grind down the sites, have you bench rested the gun? I wouldn't do anything to the sights until you have a clear picture of POA/POI.(point-of-aim to point-of-impact.). Then you can accurately determine, if its the sights or something else. I had to do this with my cowboy guns. They were shooting down and to the left. If you do the filing, do it slow and a little at a time. It's easier to do it slowly, than to replace a sight post. Just my .02......

John Krzos

4. Muddog

Muddog Guest

:) I knew that was coming jmp. I have been aiming high, wanted to line up sights on bullseye, but if this is normal Ill learn to live with it. Thanks for the quick replies.

5. M14man

M14man I don't take prisoners... Forum Contributor

Is it an 03 or 03A3? If the sights are stuck...well, work on getting them unstuck. Thats what the little knobbies are for; correcting. If for some reason they can't; replace the sights. In either model they are affordable. Are you shooting an 03 with the ladder up or down?
    Opps I thought you said the sights were STUCK...My error.
    03's usually shoot high, not low since the battle sights are set at 547 yds with the ladder down.

Last edited: May 12, 2008
  6. Muddog

Muddog Guest

I don't think we're talkin about the same gun M14

7. M14man

M14man I don't take prisoners... Forum Contributor

Maybe I should go to bed...golly I see 'Springfield' and I think 03 rifles.
    Not until you said that did I look at the header section.
    I usually have the Military forum open and look for new posts...
    Thanks for pointing that out to me>>:burnout:

8. I have 2 GI basics and they both shoot low. I think its normal.

9. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Turn the pistol sideways like they do in the movies. sam.

10. Bravo

Bravo G&G Newbie

Haha...

or...

Try working on your grip and trigger pull. I know that a low of low shots and left shots are directly related to how one holds the gun and how they get the gun to fire.

Definitely get it on a bench, or find an expert handgun marksmen and have them give it a shot. You might find that it's you and not the gun.

Or you might find that it's the gun :D

11. I have a Springfield G.I. and the sights suck, the gun shoots 2-3 inches low at 15 yards. Is there anything I can do short of grinding off the front sight?

I have a Springfield also and mine shoots about an inch low. But how can you knock a pistol that was made in 1916? It's like yelling at grandma because she came in second place at the senior olympics.

Mike

12. I have one and it usta shoot low also, 'til I put a set of Millett's on it

13. Muddog

Muddog Guest

Thanks for the help, Samuel your idea worked the best but it made me want to rob a bunch of gas stations so I had to stop. Good idea though.

14. billy

billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

mine are hard to see so i am going to put a little blaze orange paint on the front blade.

15. Kiehl99

Kiehl99 Guest

Try Tester's Floresent Green model paint. I did an AK front post and it almost looks like it's lit up. Just painted it a couple of months ago so I don't know how long it will last. A little bottle will do a whole bunch of sights.....

16. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist

There's always laser grips, too.