Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.

Last year I bought a Ruger .44 Carbine, old style, tube fed. It seems to be a little particular on what ammo it likes. Has anyone here had any luck feeding this firearm? Does anyone make a ballistic tipped round?

Thanks

·
Registered
121 Posts
Try the Hornady Levevolution (sp) it comes in 44 Mag and is there to add some range over the flat nosed rounds

·
Registered
668 Posts
That's good to know, all I have is the standard flat HP's and solid bullets. I have had mine for 28 years. It's a pretty nice carbine, it feeds the few styles of ammo that I do have. I would guess the new ballistic tipped rounds will perform as well or better plus better velocities/foot lbs of energy. It will serve you well as a brush gun on deer. Nice and light and compact.:burnout:

·
Banned
623 Posts
That's good to know, all I have is the standard flat HP's and solid bullets. I have had mine for 28 years. It's a pretty nice carbine, it feeds the few styles of ammo that I do have. I would guess the new ballistic tipped rounds will perform as well or better plus better velocities/foot lbs of energy. It will serve you well as a brush gun on deer. Nice and light and compact.:burnout:
I do not own a .44, but use LE ammo in a .444. From what I've read, pretty much across the board, the LE plastic tipped ammo loads GREAT!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Be careful using anything except flat nosed bullets in a tubular magazine. A spire point can set off the primer of the round in front of it. Make sure whatever you use is flat enough not to strike the primer first! If you notice, all the bullet makers make special bullets for the 30/30 winchester. That is the reason for them.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Be careful using anything except flat nosed bullets in a tubular magazine. A spire point can set off the primer of the round in front of it. Make sure whatever you use is flat enough not to strike the primer first! If you notice, all the bullet makers make special bullets for the 30/30 winchester. That is the reason for them.
That is correct with exception to the Hornady Leverevolution ammo desinged specificaly for tube feed magazines. For more info go to Hornady Manufacturing, Inc..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts