Bannerman

Discussion in 'Mosin Nagant' started by littlestoney406, Sep 20, 2010.

1. I believe that I held my first Bannerman last night. Had all the characteristics of a Bannerman. It's at pawn shop here, went late so I could get to fondle all the Mosins without interuption. So, the guy is handing them to me one at a time, and he picks up this one, I can see that it's a hex, with a slightly bent bolt and barrel cut down to about 21 inches, immediatly I cringe. The he grabs the tag and reads "New England Westinghouse(more cringing), 30-06 (mind wanders). Huh, I thought Westinghouse was an electric company." I didn't think much about it because this place doesn't have a clue about milsurps, I looked at a Romy M44 that was marked as an SKS, saw a 91/30 marked as a Mauser so on so forth. Then he hands it over to me, then I see that the barrel shank is cut down too with 30-06 stamped on the side of it. Stock is only at about 3/4 length, sling slots filled in and commercial style sling rings in place on the bottom with a very old leather sling attached. First thing that came to mind was Bannerman Sporter model. Any thoughts?

2. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist

Only that I heard that Mosins converted to 30.06 were not safe to fire. Once again Bubba strikes down a prime rifle that would have been worth a lot untouched. I also have a New England Westinghouse Mosin Nagant that Bubba got his hands on before I did.

3. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

4. I've read this Papa. Very interesting history. Quite the entrepreneur. But, I'm not so sure that I would jump on the Bubba name so fast with these. Yes, Mosins were permanitly modified and ruined as we would see them today, but, look at it this way, Remington and Westinghouse was stuck with a bunch of rifles becasue they didn't make them fast enough. Now, the Russians don't want them because they don't need them at the time, so the government bails them out and buys a bunch and Bannerman buys some. In the 20's, now I don't know I wasn't there, but 7.62x54r is not a common round here, but 30-06 was. So, in order to keep these companies afloat, these rifles had to be sold. So in order for Bannerman to sale them, he has to make them feasable and convert them.

So, I'm not going to put the Bannermans in the Bubba column just becasue of times. You know, these are Americian made rifles, that didn't leave Americia. They were made useful for the time for the Americian public of the time. So, what truly makes these Bubba's? It's not like today, were we have unknown amounts of commercial rifles, in any number of readily available ammo choices, sizes, stock configurations. We don't have to get a cheap military rifle and have it rechambered or reshape the stock and cut down the barrel. You can buy an H&R or New England at Walmart and have just as much in it.

5. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

What makes it a Bubba is that it is NOT Original...It has NO collector value , and they were Not deemed to be safe Conversions to 30/06 when done by Bannerman Co. ( some have blown up or Cracked Receivers)
    The stocks were cut too...Bummer.

6. I know that it sounds odd for me to be defending a Bubba, but I don't know man. I find them interesting, I wouldn't fire one with any normal commerical ammo, but if some have survived this long, like this one, you know that they have to be some what safe with light ammo. Look at the times man, people didn't buy guns in the 20's or 30's just to have them. They shot them, they killed animals with them. They were tools not decoration.

7. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

Here's another link that expands on the thread I posted earlier this year about Bannermans warehouse. whether they were right or wrong, it's some interesting history and I get more upset by seeing classic cars being destroyed for the sake of a dadgum movie than I do of rifles that were produced by the millions that were "bubba'ed" by someone wanting to turn them into useable weapons. I hate to see anything ruined, but at the time these conversions were seen as a way turn a tomato stake into a gun that could actually be shot as '54R ammo was nonexistent in the U.S. at the time.

http://www.dupontcastle.com/castles/bannerma.htm