Barack Obama on Gun Control

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by LarryO1970, May 16, 2008.

1. Q: McConnell - NRA convention attacking you. Guns as wedge issue and how do you take that on?

A: "(Laughing) What do you think, Bonney? Of course they're gonna - they'll try, of course! I mean they've got the same play book every election and guns is gonna be one of those issues and I understand that - its been effective for them in the past. All I can do is describe to the voters what I believe and what I think. And what I believe is that there is a second amendment right. I think it is an individual right, I think people have the right to lawfully bear arms. I do believe that there is nothing inconsistent with also saying we can institute some common sense gun laws. So that we don't have kids being shot on the streets of cities like Chicago, that we can institute strong background checks, that we can trace guns back to you know potential unscrupulous gun dealers who peddle them to people who shouldn't be getting them. You know those are laws that I think the majority of Americans believe in. and now, the NRA has a different position. Their basic view is any law related to gun ownership is a potential camels nose under the tent. And that if we allow even the smallest concession that somehow guns are gonna be taken away from everybody. You know, if you subscribe to that view, then you're not gonna agree with me. If on the other hand you're a gun owner here in South Dakota who uses your gun to hunt or to protect your family and does so in a lawful way, then you have nothing to worry about from me and they can try to stir up as much fear they want, but I ask the voters listen to what I'm saying. And theres nothing in my record that would contradict those positions."

The real story:

Barack Obama on Gun Control

If the Democrats have “gotten the message” on gun control, why is this guy their new “rock star”?

Senator Barak H. Obama, Democratic Jr Senator (IL); previously State Senator

Position: Keep guns out of inner cities — but inner city violence is also a problem of morality:
    I believe in keeping guns out of our inner cities, and that our leaders must say so in the face of the gun manufacturers' lobby. But I also believe that when a gang banger shoots indiscriminately into a crowd because he feels someone disrespected him, we have a problem of morality. Not only do we need to punish that man for his crime, but we need to acknowledge that there’s a hole in his heart, one that government programs alone may not be able to repair.” Source: The Audacity of Hope, by Barack Obama, p.215 Oct 1, 2006
    Position: Ban high capacity semiautomatic handguns:
    While Obama suggested there may be a need for restrictions on so-called semiautomatic guns, he contends Democrats must steer clear of alienating “lawful” gun owners. “I’m a strong believer in the rights of hunters and sportsmen to have firearms. I’m a believer in homeowners having a firearm to protect their home and their family,” Obama said. “It’s hard for me to find a rationale for having a 17-clip semiautomatic.” Source: Radio Iowa
    Positions on Gun Control:

• Ban semi-automatics, and impose more restrictions on other types of firearms possession; Source: 1998 IL State Legislative National Political Awareness Test Jul 2, 1998
    • Ban the sale or transfer of all forms of semi-automatic weapons;
    • Increase state restrictions on the purchase and possession of firearms;
    • Require manufacturers to provide child-safety locks with firearms.
    • On the issue of prohibiting citizens from carrying concealed weapons, Obama said he believes national legislation should be passed to “prevent other states’ laws [allowing citizens to conceal their guns] from threatening the safety of Illinois residents.” Source
    • “I believe we need to renew–not roll back — this common sense gun law,” [The Clinton “Assault Weapons” Ban] Source
    • Proposes several gun-control laws, including restricting purchases of weapons and ammunition at gun shows, establishing a national database that would capture and record imprints left by bullets, and making gun locks mandatory. Source
    • Obama said concealed weapons should be allowed for retired police officers and some military personnel.
    • “Ordinary citizens should not be allowed to own military assault weapons, such as AK-47s and Uzis.” Source
    Voted NO on prohibiting lawsuits against gun manufacturers.
    A bill to prohibit civil liability actions from being brought or continued against manufacturers, distributors, dealers, or importers of firearms or ammunition for damages, injunctive or other relief resulting from the misuse of their products by others. Voting YES would:

• Exempt lawsuits brought against individuals who knowingly transfer a firearm that will be used to commit a violent or drug-trafficking crime
    • Exempt lawsuits against actions that result in death, physical injury or property damage due solely to a product defect
    • Call for the dismissal of all qualified civil liability actions pending on the date of enactment by the court in which the action was brought
    • Prohibit the manufacture, import, sale or delivery of armor piercing ammunition, and sets a minimum prison term of 15 years for violations
    • Require all licensed importers, manufacturers and dealers who engage in the transfer of handguns to provide secure gun storage or safety devices
    Reference: Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act; Bill S 397 ; vote number 2005-219 on Jul 29, 2005 Source
    “This seems to be a man [Obama] who is absolutely determined to make the world safe for criminals while making sure that law-abiding citizens have no opportunity to defend themselves.” — Alan Keyes. Source
    Commenting on the VT massacre, Obama said:
    “(Cho) had a semiautomatic weapon with a clip that allowed him to take 19 shots in a row,” Obama said. “I don’t know any self-respecting hunter that needs 19 rounds of anything. The only reason you have 19 rounds is potentially to do physical harm to people. You don’t shoot 19 rounds at a deer. And if you do, you shouldn’t be hunting.” Source
    Uh, dude, it’s not about hunting. Maybe it’s about being able to defend yourself from maniacs?

Barak Obama’s Voting Record on Gun Control
    This page on Gunlaw News includes quotes, voting record and more links to additional resources.
    In another place:
    Obama regularly supported gun-control measures, including a ban on semiautomatic “assault weapons” and a limit on handgun purchases to one a month.

He also opposed letting people use a self-defense argument if charged with violating local handgun bans by using weapons in their homes. The bill was a reaction to a Chicago-area man who, after shooting an intruder, was charged with a handgun violation.

Supporters framed the issue as a fundamental question of whether homeowners have the right to protect themselves.
    Obama joined several Chicago Democrats who argued the measure could open loopholes letting gun owners use their weapons on the street. They said local governments should have the final say, but the self-defense exception passed 41-16 and ultimately became state law. Source
    Barak Obama served on the board of the notoriously anti-civil right Joyce Foundation. Source. The Joyce Foundation is the funding source for astroturf anti-gun organizations such at The Gun Guys and The Freedom States Alliance.

On the Washington D.C. handgun ban, Obama said that he:
    “…believes that we can recognize and respect the rights of law-abiding gun owners and the right of local communities to enact common sense laws to combat violence and save lives.” Obama believes the D.C. handgun law is constitutional. Source
    Mr. Obama says he’s, “…in it to transform the country.” No thanks, Barack. Think I’ll pass.

Your kind of changes I can live without.

2. mosineer

mosineer G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

Yeah, with Obama and a Democratic controlled Congress, it does not bode well for gun owners. We will be suffocated with "common sense" laws for our own good. And will pay for their implementation with higher taxes... what a deal..

Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil

3. Eddie L.

Eddie L. Guest

My oath at induction was a life contract

If I remember right during the induction ceremony into the US Army, I swore to uphold the constitution of the United States and defend it against enemies foreign and domestic.
    I may have forgotten something in the 55 years since I took this oath.
    Since that time every GI, be he Marine, Army, Air Force, or Coast Guard, has taken the same oath. This includes both active and reserve units. Mine was a life commitment and that includes all who may be enemies of my country. If we forget the oath and refuse to act upon it, we as a people do not deserve the country handed us.
    I really do not understand this BS about hunting or sports utility of a firearm. The founding fathers had just won a war for freedom and did it with civilians and civilian weapons. Giving up the freedoms we have enjoyed will end when we give up our weapons. The same despots that pass restrictive laws now will be in complete control.
    The shots at Concord were in defiance of an order from the British to confiscate the weapons stored at Concord.
    Texas rebelled agains Mexico when Santa Anna ordered the confiscation of firearms of the colonists in Mexican territory.
    Yep, we won also.
    Quite possibly, the German citizens murdered by the Nazis could have survived as a whole if they had refused to give up their arms. History may have been far different.
    Right? Wrong? This is my belief,
    eddie

4. Eddie... I took the same oath and agree with you 100%.

5. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter Guest

Typical lying politician ... will say anything to get elected, but his agenda for gun owners will hurt most of us. He won't change his position on guns..

He would make a good car salesman though ;)

6. Windwalker

Windwalker G&G Newbie

I also took the oath and will be bound by it until my death. I would carry a buddy in arms until I drop but if you are a pacifist or worse yet a gun-grabber trying to disarm our law abiding citizens, I would like to see you move to some other Country of your choice because if you won't defend it you don't deserve to live in our great Country.

7. Eddie L.

Eddie L. Guest

It is nice to know that the ol retreads feel the same. The media BS and contorted news disallusions the listener. They try to convince us that we are each alone.
    Good Day and God Bless
    eddie

8. AKHunter

AKHunter G&G Newbie

What will it take to make the gun grabbers understand the truth in the statement above? Why do they fear the possesion of firearms in the hands of law abiding citizens so much, and care so little for enforcing the laws against criminal acts?

Huh ? What do CCW laws in other states have to do with illinois and its' laws? If they don't recognize my alaska CCW permit in illinois I certainly would'nt carry there. Is this statement an attempt to make people believe that people who have CCW permits and carry legally in their respective states, would turn around and violate illinois law against CCW and, suddenly act as criminals and commit violent crimes against their citizens ? Or does he think that people from illinois who travel out of state are more likely to become victims of violent crime by CCW holders ?

:confused:

9. Windwalker

Windwalker G&G Newbie

Thanks Eddie, May the sun always be at your back and happiness be with you.

jAnyone who doesn't believe Obama is a gun-grabber by now is just not capable of comprehending his beliefs.

10. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

Thanks Eddie; took the same oath to protect and defend, and I take it very seriously.

Obama is a gun grabber, and a gun banner. Plain and simple. His record speaks for itself. It must take a great deal of rationalization for a consitiutional lawyer (or anyone who can raise their right hand) to do what he does. Should give anyone thinking about voting for him some pause--if he can be untruthful to his oath and the Constitution, what else ?

11. The problem is, too many politicians are blinded by money. To actually abide by their oath is secondary, if at all a concern of theirs.

I would be happy with a politician who actually defended the Constitution rather than one that would gut it for personal gain or that of their "party". The U.S. Constitution and their Amendments should not altered, period... and any politician who votes to alter these should be voted out of office immediately.

12. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

The thing is, there's an amendment process to amend our constitution. It's hard, and it's supposed to be. If someone would want to infringe on the RKBA in some way (or ban handguns--like they're currently doing in Chicago; or ban the "bearing" like they're currently doing in your home state, Larry, or infringe on the carrying/bearing like they're doing in New York -- even to a lesser extent in shall-issue states like here in TX we're still infringing on the bearing part in some way--although much better than some others, but it is still an infringement) it requires the amendment process to be followed. So if Obama (or hilary) really believed in a ban and was true to his oath of office, he wouldn't attempt the back door infringement of the 2A he's been in favor of and voting for, but would back a constitutional amendment to the US constitution to limit the 2A to reflect his views. Being a constitutional lawyer, he should definitely know better.

I think the anti's realize there is little way to get a repeal of the 2A (except maybe a limitation of individual citizens not being allowed nuclear weapons placed upon it). Thus, they try to subvert our democratic process by illegal anti-firearms legislation.

If we continue to water down the constitution by "working around" the amendment process, we effectively make all of the limitations on our government become meaningless. This subversion allows anyone with an agenda who's clever with words and can exploit the principle of mob rule to undermine our constitutional form of government.

Last edited: May 18, 2008
  13. "Being a constitutional lawyer, he should definitely know better."

~ You are correct, he should... but doesn't.

14. +1

And in the words of the great Charlton Heston, "You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold, dead hands!"

Took the oath to my country and to my Constitution very seriously, was raised to believe everything in the Constitution was to be taken as is and applied to everyone, not to be laid aside on a whim.

True the VT massacre, the Colombine massacre, and a few mall shootings have not helped our position on the 2nd amendment at all but what if one person in each of these tragedies, one law abiding citizen, be it teacher, fellow student, or patron of the mall had had the courage, the willfullness and most of all the RIGHT to carry concealed and had taken these sons of #$%&*es down? Would we be having this same debate today? I am afraid to say yes, but I don't think it would have been nearly as strong an arguement on the anti-gun side.

The sad fact of the matter is that there will always be those in our government who wish to cut down certain rights, but what else can we do but legally fight them at every turn?

15. Turbo

Turbo Guest

+1 to everything said in this thread.

Instead of attacking the politician, attack his supporters. Knock out their base with education and hard facts that they can not deny. They may not have answers to counter you with, but you can shut them up.

16. Eddie L.

Eddie L. Guest

The question left open is what should be done when all legal options are tried and failed? Who among us has the courage to give up family and maybe life to defend our beliefs? Think, the defender would not be a member of an army. As my wife phrases it, " do you then love the country more than me."
    The defender would be an outlaw to those without the strength of beliefs to defend those beliefs. You know, those that are now sucking hind tit of the government and want nothing else. Have enough of our citizens been fed this pap the politicians have used to buy votes to destroy our country.
    I pray not, but this next election should probably tell the tale. If enough votes have been bought to elect anyone left in the race, my friends, we are in deep hockey.
    From an old man and feeling it every time I think of our choices.
    eddie

17. Let's not all volunteer to die on the ramparts just yet, gentlemen; let's wait and see if it's necessary. I'd feel real silly getting my butt shot if I didn't have to...:)