Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd appreciate first-hand info from anyone who has actually used Barnes TSX bullets, 300WSM or 270WSM, on elk or deer, respectively. I've always been of the opinion that you should want to have all the bullet energy impact in the animal, but these Barnes folks claim tremendous shock power and complete penetration. I just want to make sure that I'm getting all the potential out of my 300WSM and 270WSM. Thanks.

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
Although I have not used the TSX yet I have used the XLC in my 25-06. They were pretty accurate but I hear the TSX is even more accurate. I am planning on loading either the TSX or the TTSX in my .280 rem when I buy it. I think that the 100% weight retention is impressive and penetration is great. I used the 100 gr XLC on an antelope two years ago at an estimated 220 yds or so. The bullet penetrated fully and dropped the antelope. When I gutted it the lungs were destroyed. I am a beliver in the barnes bullets for sure.
There is an article in the November issue of Rifle magazine all about the new Tipped Tripple Shock Xbullet. The author (Dave Scovill) tested the bullets in .300 Wthby mag, .300 Win Mag, 30-06, and .300 WSM. He used the .300 Win mag on an african hunt and harvested several animals with the Barnes bullets. If there is a way I could scan the article and post it I would.
I know that Federal and a few other companies are loading these bullets in thier factory ammo. So if you wanted to try it out and not hand load this might be a way. One piece of advice on the Barnes bullets. Make sure your barrel is clean. I mean very clean. Use the Barnes CR-10 or like cleaning solvent to make sure there is no copper fouling in your barrel. That is what plauged the X bullet was the copper fouling in barrels and it would cause poor accuracy. They say with the introduction of the TSX with the cut rings around the bullet the problem with fouling was solved. I hope this information helps.

Scott

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Scott, thanks a lot. That info will help. Have fun with that .280 when you get it. That's all I've hunted with for the last 16 years, and it killed everything from antelope to bull elk just fine. These two magnums are sort of a present to myself - not really necessary, just a little extravagance!

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I hand loaded Barnes TSX into my 7mm WSM, and they worked great. 160 Gr bullet, almost penetrated the whole deer, length ways.

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
Rooter Shooter
What caliber did you use? What distance? How large of hog was it?
Thanks for the pic. It appears it completely opend and functioned 100%

·
Registered
11 Posts
7 Rem Mag, .284
I think this was a 140grain. I have since switched to 120's
The hog was about 74# If I recall correctly. feeding towards me in a pine row. approx 75 yards. Shot him in the left side of the neck behind the ear, facing me. I spent 30 minutes digging thru guts looking for this bullet with no luck. I finally found it, at a party, boning out the smoked right side ham. It was lodged against the ham bone near the knee.

This one is less impressive, from a .223. This hog was well over 200#, shot at well over 300yards running directly away. Entered at the flank and found it under the hide on the opposing shoulder. I'm sure it lost a LOT of velocity before making contact but after the shot, the hog spun around once and dropped right there.

there is a string of these pictures here http://dipnvat.com/pictures/wildlife/barnes.htm

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
Thanks for the info Rooter Shooter. I have the 150gr boat tail for my 280 Ackley Improved. They group nicely but they have yet to kill anything other than paper.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts