close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Barrel Bands

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by ROB, Apr 22, 2002.

1. ROB

ROB G&G Newbie

NOW THAT I HAVE THE STOCK OF MY M44 REFINISHED WITH NEW SHELLAC, I WONDERING IF THERE IS A TRICK TO PUTTING ON THE BARREL BANDS WITHOUT SHAVING OFF THE NEW FINNISH?
    ALSO, SINCE IM HERE, LET ME ASK A COUPLE MORE QUESTIONS. CAN ANYONE TELL ME OR DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY DISASSEMBLY INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE BOLT ASSEMBLY FOR THE MOSAN?
    FINALLY, ALL THE NUMBERS ON MY RIFLE MATCH EXCEPT FOR THE BOLT, BUT THE NUMBERS ON THE BOLT ARE OF A DIFFERENT SEQUENCE. SHOULD THE NUMBERS ON THE BOLT BE THE SAME AS REST OF THE RIFLE, OR WERE THEY NUMBERED DIFFENTLY?
    THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY RESPONSE.

2. Bryan Williams

Bryan Williams G&G Newbie

for bolt disassembly go to : http://www.mosin-nagant.net

Non-Matching Numbers are NOT uncommon on Nagants. Since they had so many during WW2, to save time, alot of the good parts from broken rifles were slapped into working guns and put back into service. Most Russian M44's have matching #'s, M91/30's are about half and half, and I've only seen two fully matching M91's. The non-matching #'s on the guns wont hurt, I have 2 carbines that dont match, and one M91/30 that matches, they all shoot fine.

I just redid the stock on my Polish M44 and the bands took off some of the new finish :(

3. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

I would recommend using a modern urethane or polyurethane varnish instead of shellac. The barrel bands are tight and I have not figured out a way to protect the finish. I suggest touching it up with a small brush.

4. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

Ive been useing urathane and just touching it up...could streach them out..but might not unstreach... I rember that at an auto parts store they had REVERSE type plyers...for removeing C type clips... they might work...