Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Remington 870 with a 28" vent rib mod barrel. Recently, I bought a 20" rifled slug barrel because I wanted the shorter barrel. If I shoot other than slugs in it, am I going to damage the rifling ? I know shot is in a shot cup, but it looks like the 00 I have is not.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Shot enclosed in a plastic shot sleeve will not lead a rifled shotgun barrel, but it will pattern poorly.

A smooth-bore, improved-cylinder rifle-sighted slug barrel is a good general-purpose hunting gun for either shot or slugs, as long as you stick to the Foster-type, not the saboted slugs intended for rifled barrels.

·
Premium Member
6,182 Posts
Shot enclosed in a plastic shot sleeve will not lead a rifled shotgun barrel, but it will pattern poorly.

A smooth-bore, improved-cylinder rifle-sighted slug barrel is a good general-purpose hunting gun for either shot or slugs, as long as you stick to the Foster-type, not the saboted slugs intended for rifled barrels.
We never hunt big game with a scatter gun. We do play with the LEE slugs cast and loaded in AA 12 Ga shot cups and crimped shut. They are accurate and fun toys. We have killed many rocks in the Rocky Mtns.:D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts