Barrel heat (rapid fire) vs accuracy

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by BattleRifleG3, Sep 9, 2002.

1. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

When I need accuracy from my HK-91 (Centurion 99), I wait a minute or two between shots. But I'd like to have something I don't have to wait for, something that will shoot as good a group rapid fire as slowly, proveded the shooter's on target of course.

So do ARs do this better than HKs? Is there one kind of barrel that's better than others at this? Are other guns out there better at this? I wondered if a VEPR II, with the RPK receiver, trunion, and heavy barrel with a chrome lined chamber and bore, which claims to get MOA accuracy, could actually outshoot an AR in rapid fire.

2. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

so whats the hurry???take your time between shots. rapid fire, just heats things up, and and opens up shot groups. but if you want to play John Wayne have fun. heaveier the barrel the more stable the shot groups are, thats it. most factory claims of MOA is under carefully prepared rifle, ammo, weather conditions, and whos shooting. get that Vepr out at the dump, with cheep ammo, and bubba at the controls the results differ. yes:target: no:assult: :rolleyes:

3. BattleRifleG3

In a tactical situation it would be nice to be able to shoot fast when the enemy is close up, then take an aimed shot at the ones in the distance. And something doesn't seem right about not being able to shoot as fast as you can aim.

And concerning the VEPR II, their claims of accuracy come from satisfied customers. Check out www.robarm.com.

4. PAPA G

okay young man just where are you anticipating the approaching hoard will attack??? from NJ,Del,Md,WV, Oh, NY??? or maybe an amphibious assault from Canada??? where is your LZ/FSB in Pa??? in real world scenarios in the battlefield. the average grunt does not spray and pray, but is conscience of shot placement, making every bullet count cause the finest weapon in the world is useless if the supply of ammo is burnt up. and when things really get hairy, thats what hand grenades are for. as far as handgun add ons go. thats for those who want to make up for their on short comings. i follow the K.I.S.S. principal. example my 1991a1 has high profile sights because my eyes are slowly going out. and thats it i work around mine and the guns idiosyncrosies. my hunting rifle has look-under rings, just in case "Chit" happens. don't mean to rant and rave, just what ifs are not in my life.:fuss: :rolleyes: :D

5. BattleRifleG3

I'm not talking spray and pray. I'm talking shots that are a little closer together than 2 minutes. I'm talking shooting as fast as one can aim. I'd sure hate to take 40 minutes to empty a 20 round mag. This makes sense, doesn't it? I mean, if you're going to wait minutes between shots, why have a semi-auto? And what good is an accurate semi-auto if you only get that accuracy by treating it like a bolt action, or if you lose it simply by firing next time you aim. I'm sure a normal person can aim in less than 2 minutes. Or am I giving the barrel way too much cool down time?
    Point is I can cycle a bolt and aim in under ten seconds, and I have no formal training. That means 6 shots a minute, which is the same rate as the finest 18th century infantryman could reload his musket. I'd really like to think an AR-15 can be fired a little faster without losing accuracy.

6. PAPA G

7. BattleRifleG3

Am I the only person who thinks this stuff?

8. Klaus

Klaus Guest

My M17 does not lose any accuracy when hot. The barrel might be tensioned or something. It is a superb rifle (at least once I smithed it). The rifles do need some tweaking when new to improve the trigger and bedding, but that is pretty easy to do. I never could figure out why they do not fix it before shipping though. Bushmaster is a great company otherwise. I hate seeing the M17 maligned for stuff that is easily fixed.

9. PAPA G

Klaus, i tread feared territory and disagree. when we shell out the big bucks for a firearm, whether ist a Kimber , Para, Springfield winchester, or what ever its expected to function out of the box, and should not require being tweeked to make it work. you wouldn't buy a brand new tire if it had a blow out patch on it, same with firearms. on the AK forum, you mentioned your Hesse rifle, that it worked great once you cleaned out all the milling chips, to me that is totally unacceptable, if a gun maker doesn't think enough of their product to ship it whistle clean, than they don't get my business.

10. BattleRifleG3

I think the Hesse and Bushmaster are two different worlds when it comes to imperfections. The Hesse is done carelessly, the Bushmaster is done with certain undesirable design features.
    In both cases, though, I think Klaus has primarily himself to thank for making these rifles workable. I agree that guns should come ready to work correctly, but as an engineer type person, I don't mind doing work, I just keep the credit for myself. I once helped a friend repair a universal carbine. I won't say a single good thing for Universal. I thank his father and myself for the working carbine that resulted.