close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Barrel lenght for .223.

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by oneastrix, Apr 8, 2002.

1. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

I'm a police officer in a dept where we supply our own weaponry. I can't afford an AR yet, but have a pre ban Mini14. I'm on a tac/entry team. I prefer the shorter barrel lengths for entry w/ a long gun. It's easier to get around corners etc. I was thinking about having my barrel cut and crowned at 14.5" and permanently affixing a Choate 1.5" flash surpressor. I see AR's with 11.5 and 12 inchers on them acheiveing solid combat accuracy at 100 yards. It's a rare accasion when a cop takes a shot that long, though. Any thoughts or feed back would be helpful. One gunsmith told me yes, one said it was a bad idea.....

2. AJY

AJY G&G Newbie

From what Ive read recently you can start having velocity problems with .223 with the shorter barrels-less than 14.5 inches. Supposedly Hornady is working on a round specifically for the shorter barrels. I carry a Mini 14 as a duty rifle. I was also thinking of either cutting the barrel down to 16" or getting a heavy barrel in 16" made. Let me know what you decide and how it works. By the way I have an EOTECH Holosight mounted on an Aimtech Scout Rail on a SS GB in a factory folder stock. I found this set up to be the best so far, after trying it a few different ways. When we qualify we have to shoot with the stock folded also- When practicicing entries and room sweeps. With it folded stock barrel length is not that big of a problem.