Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at a tactical home defense/ranch gun. I'm pretty much set on a Mossberg 500. I'll mostly be shooting 00, and slugs through it. Would the Mossberg 18.5 inch barrel be acceptable for this? Or should I consider the 20" slugster barrel?

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
Yeah, the 18.5 should work fine. That's what I have in mine. It kicks pretty good, and is loud as heck though. Like an idiot, I fired it a few times with no ear protection, just trying to get a feel for how loud it was. All I can say is, it was pretty loud in a wide open area, so if I lit that thing off at an intruder in my enclosed house, I probably wouldn't hear a thing for hours.

What would your uses be for a ranch gun?

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was planning on using the buckshot for home defense, but if I ever have to take it along in my truck, in case of large animals ect... Something more along the lines of protecting my ranch and those on it not just my house. For that sort of use I'd chamber a slug or two.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,693 Posts
Mine is 20 inches, but mainly so I could use the longer "8 round" magazine extender. Otherwise, it's really a matter of personal preference.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I have 21" and 22" barrels on my tactical 12 ga shotguns. That is because I slightly modified "Turkey Guns" into my tactical shotguns. I really don't like the fixed cylinder bore shotguns. Yea they are fine at inside the house ranges, but after that the pattern opens up too much for me. The turkey barrels have the changeable choke tubes. You can change the tube to fit the current need. I think this would be a better choice for an all around shotgun.

All that is really needed to make the turkey guns more tactical is a good quality magazine extension tube. I have a few other gadgets, but they really are not needed. By the way I prefer Remington, but you said you liked Mossberg - it really don't matter.

Look here
O.F. Mossberg & Sons, Inc. - Firearms, Shotguns, Rifles, Accessories, and Precision Machining

Maybe even better choice
O.F. Mossberg & Sons, Inc. - Firearms, Shotguns, Rifles, Accessories, and Precision Machining

1 - 7 of 7 Posts