close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Barrel Length Question

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by AJS, Apr 17, 2002.

1. AJS

AJS G&G Newbie

:confused: Hi, I'm new here and I hope there's someone out there who can help me. Before I ask my question I just have to inform all you American gun owners that no matter how bad you think it's getting in the US, I can tell you for a fact it's 10 times worse here in Canada. If you don't belong to the NRA...JOIN! Trust me, it's worth it. Guess if Canada had a Second Amendment we wouldn't be facing the morass of red tape, licencing and registration we are now. Anyway, I recently purchased an M-1 Carbine. Underneath the rear sight it stamped "Winchester" with the serial number (1256XXX) just behind it. On the recoil plate is stamped "H.E.-J.P." and on the right side of the rear sight is "I.R. Co." with the number 7160XXX just below it. My question arises from the fact it's barrel is 20.25 inches long (give or take a fraction of an inch). I know M-1's usually have 18 inch barrels, so can anyone tell me what I have? The barrel itself has no markings of any kind. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

2. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

AJS, sounds like you have an aftermarket barrel on your carbine. If there aren't any markings, you can be sure it's an aftermarket. I have a NPM carbine that had one on it, and it shot very well. However, I had it replaced later with a GI barrel.
    Do the ears on the front sight have slots in them, or are they solid? What's the barrel look like? Does it have little "rings" on the outside going the full length of the barrel? If it does, and the barrel feels "ridged", then it's for sure an aftermarket. HTH.

:)