close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Barrel Length

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Tim W, Apr 10, 2002.

1. Tim W

Tim W G&G Newbie

OK..you guys have got my attention. It looks like CAS is a good time. I have a Rossi 92 in 44 mag and a Ruger Blackhawk in 357. Looks like I should trade the 357 for a 44 so I only have to run one caliber on the reloads. I'm about to aquire an old Western Arms 12 ga double. It has 28" barrels but they are pitted bad at the muzzle. Removal of 2" will remove the pits. I think 26" will be a good langth and not remove too much of the choke.
    Any ideas or suggestions?
    Thanks..Tim

2. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

I'd see if I could use a Bearcat or Single Six & a Henry lever action before I did anything drastic like selling or trading. I don't know how they feel about rimfires. Barring that I would save up for a Vaquero & Marlin in .45 Colt (often called a Long Colt to differentiate between it & the .45 ACP that has, believe it or not been called a "Short Colt") then I would handload. I would forget about that particular shotgun.

3. Tim-

THink if you remove two inchs from the muzzle your choke will be gone.

Can alwaay have a 'smith install screw in chokes..

4. Tim, rimfires are not allowed. The Rossi 92 is a fine CAS rifle. Pairing it up with your pistols in caliber is a good idea. Keep in mind, if you use a Super Blackhawk, you must compete in the Modern catagory. This is not a problem as a lot of folks are in this catagory. A Vaquero has fixed sights and will allow you to shoot in the Traditional catagory. As far as the shotgun is concerned, most of our targets are close. An open choke isn't really a problem. Most folks use barrels shorter than 26 inches, but there is nothing wrong with that length. One last thing, most of the time you need two pistols, not just one. The SASS web sight has a complete set of rules. Their address is WWW.sassnet.com. Get yer weapons and come on over.!:D