close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Battlerifle I found your Gun for the Griz

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Shaun, Mar 21, 2002.

1. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

This rifle should suit your needs

2. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 Retired Moderator

Oh yeah, gotta love the OICW (Objective Individual Combat Weapon). Although I doubt the .223 part would do much against old Griz.

3. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

I take it the .223 is for the 'yotes. I assume the picture is reversed, otherwise I'd have to shoot it like a southpaw. Hate to get that HE case in the face.
    Kinda resembles my Bushpup all grown up.

What Battlerifle needs is that new rifle shown at the end of "Starship Troopers", that nukes the hilltop. No messy carcass to clean up. LOL :D

4. Augustis

Augustis G&G Newbie

Battle Rifle
    Most likely you are not hunting a Grizzley, we run into them frequently (More than we would like to) here in Montana while camping in the back country in the summer and archery, early rifle season if the weather is still good.

I would recommend a 12 GA. # 1 shot first round and then 00 buck to finish the job, mine has 8 round recever 20" barrel, improved cylinder.

At 30 YDS I can spray them head to toe pointing at nothing more than body mass.

Just remember those BIG Bears can cover 30 YDS in 2.5 seconds, if you are caught by surprize you might not have time to aim. My option, just point and shoot, brush is not really a factor with a shotgun either if you get charged in a brush choked creek bottom where wounded/winter killed animals die and at close range it will remove massive amounts of flesh if not whole limbs with a single burst.

The one fortunate thing I have going for me so far is my riding mule and pack horses let me know in advance about big preditors (Bears and Cats) in our path ;o)

The best defense is always a good offensive weapon!

Augustis

5. Double D

Double D G&G Newbie

SOCAL
    I will respectfully disagree with Augustis and even credit his vast knowledge and experience over my own as UI have little, But I might suggest a look at Marlin's 1895G in 45-70(loaded with garretts or Buffalo Bore, I hear even PMC is decent) or the 1895M in .450Marlin. Either will whack a bear be it coastal, brown or griz and do it at 7lbs and have very good accuracy to 100+ yds. which as you all know is more than adequate for bear.

6. boneguru

boneguru G&G Newbie

I like te idea of 45-70, I just finished building an Encore 26" heavy bbl in 45-70 just for bear cant wait to try it out.