Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I saw an SP1 upper advertised on Gunsamerica for $450. Then I remembered the Cavalry Arms lower receivers.

Now I have this vision of my dream AR-15, using the pre-forward assist AR upper on an ergonomic and durable lower.
Now being as there was a reason to add the forward assist (which I think is an abomination), I have to wonder whether the SP1 is in fact worth using.

Any experience with either of these two halves? Does mating them sound like a good idea? Of course I may want to replace the barrel on the SP1 upper so as not to destroy its pre-ban features.

Oh, truth be told I can't afford either of these for a while, just thinking.

·
Registered
162 Posts
One big problem. Having a pre-ban upper on a post bam lower is too many "evil things" and is a violation of the Assault Weapons Ban of 1994. You would have to remove the flash hider and threads from the barrel to make it legal.
If you don't believe me, go to ar15.com, join, and ask.

·
Registered
11,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Of course I may want to replace the barrel on the SP1 upper so as not to destroy its pre-ban features.
I know all about the ban.

Come to think of it, an SP1 seems best kept together. But are there any other versions that don't have the forward assist?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Just wanted you to be safe. Some guys ask how much to put a pre-ban upper on a post-ban lower. Correct answer is 10 years and/or a hefty fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts