Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got my first 91/30 yesterday at dunhams. I'm not very familiar with this rifle(yet) and I can't seem to get the bayonet on no matter how hard I try.

Can somebody clue me in?

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
here's a faq question (#35) from 7.62x54r.net

Q. My M91/30 bayonet is numbered to the rifle, but it won't fit on the muzzle, why is that?
A. Soviet military doctrine called for the bayonet to remain fixed to the rifle at all times with the exception of traveling by motor vehicle or when in long term storage. The bayonet will go on, but it will be a very tight fit and will be difficult to remove. This is good for charging infantry, but not collectors. The inside of the bayonet socket can be opened slightly with a dowel wrapped with sandpaper to make fixing and removal easier.

I did this to mine to make it fit.

Oh and welcome to the site fellow Hoosier!

·
Banned
14,554 Posts
What he said...the Russian troops weren't even issued frogs or scabbards for their bayonets.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm well my bayonet isn't numbered to my rifle let alone the same factory markings(Tula vs Izhevsk). Anyhow, I'll give the sandpaper trick a go tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
167 Posts
I just greased mine up well and tapped it on with a plastic mallet. Have to tap it off, too, but after doing it several times it's getting easier. I normally leave it on all the time.

These rifles are refurbs and their bayonets were likely never tried on them, just numbered and packed away with them. The numbers of the various parts on them are renumbered to match the barrel, the original numbers having been ground off in most cases.

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,319 Posts
My bayo is number matched to my stamped number matching 91/30...its hard to put on but it will go on.

I never put it on though...just a couple times then put it away.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
An 8lb sledge should do it!

Mine wasn't too hard to get on, but it almost took two people to get it off! So, be careful for what you wish for! :)

·
Registered
15,550 Posts
An 8lb sledge should do it!
Fence Post Driver? Rammed between two trucks?

I used to bail hay on a farm (for hunting rights) where the son's philosophy was if a BFH: Big Freakin' Hammer.
We spent a lot of time repairing his "fixes" until his dad changed the lock on the repair shed!

·
Registered
827 Posts
bayonet fixes

I just sanded down the bayonet socket and then applied a liberal coating of BreakFree to it and it works just fine.

Another tip, dont push the bayonet on all the way just enough that you can use the sights and you can shoot anything, like whoever it was that was gonna shoot weasels or muskrats or something in a different post.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Push it all the way on like it's supposed to be and you can shoot all you want to. If you push it on partway it will block the front sight.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Not True....

Pushing it on all the way is fine if you want to keep it that way, but not all of us do.

Heres my solution. The sight is 0* and the locked position of the bayonet is 90*. Rotate the bayonet to about 45*-60*. This should allow enough of the front sight to be visible to shoot with.

·
Sir Loin of Beef
16,717 Posts
Quick quesiton...Were the 91/30s sighted in with bayonets attached? Or do they shoot OK with out the bayonet?

I have not had a chance to shoot mine and have no bayonet. So was just wondering what to expect.

·
Premium Member
30,705 Posts
they shoot fine without

·
Banned
14,554 Posts
Quick quesiton...Were the 91/30s sighted in with bayonets attached? Or do they shoot OK with out the bayonet?
I have not had a chance to shoot mine and have no bayonet. So was just wondering what to expect.
Supposedly they were originally sighted in with bayonet attached. But "originally" was a long time ago...

·
Premium Member
30,705 Posts
i put mine on once .
took it off and threw it in a drawer with all the others.
i use my AK bayo as a garden trowel

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Supposedly they were originally sighted in with bayonet attached. But "originally" was a long time ago...
troy, i'm sorry to tell you that your wrong on that.
only the m44 was sighted in with the bayo. fixed.
the 91/30 was not.:)

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
It wasnt very long ago that a m91 bayonet was ar rare as hens teeth and cost way more than the rifles did.
now there everywhere so thats cool enjoy it....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts