Be honest. Does anybody here have any cheap American handguns?

Discussion in 'General Handgun' started by quavodus, Jul 26, 2020.

1. I have a Mark 2. Bought it new way back when. Wife's favorite pistol!

huntr and mauser9 like this.
  2. shanebrews

shanebrews G&G Evangelist

One type of firearm that fits into this category and is fun to shoot is the pocket revolver in .32 S&W. My dad started buying them, often in some state of disrepair, several years ago because they were usually priced under $80 and he enjoyed returning them to proper function. He's got a whole tool chest drawer of the things: S&W, Forehand&Wadsworth, Iver Johnson, Rohm. I don't think he's got a Merwin&Hulbert in the collection. They are usually top-break. Although the original S&W (short) round is rather slow, and the Long is no burner, they are incredibly fun to shoot and nearly recoilless, even out of these small revolvers. The triggers aren't usually bad either, although the sights leave something to be desired. But, in their defense, they were marketed for shooting 'across a card table.'

TXplt, blaster, Jaison and 2 others like this.

3. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

I have my late Dad's High Standard Doublenine revolver. He bought it the year I was born - 1957. Still looks and shoots good. Not a tack driver, but it's decent.

TXplt, Jaison and MRT NH 72 like this.
  4. [​IMG]

In Stock

• $129.99 $229.99
    • Limited-time deal
    FREE IN-STORE PICKUP
    Columbus: In Stock
    Hebron: In Stock
    Obetz: In Stock

VANCES in Columbus Ohio area.

Shipping Notice:
    We are not currently shipping any firearms or ammunition at this time.

5. quavodus

quavodus G&G Evangelist

The Heritage guns are good for the money. So is the Ruger Wrangler.

TXplt and Big Dog like this.
  6. Jim Bridger

Jim Bridger G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Cheap is determined by someone's wealth or needs. If you are very wealthy like Prez Trump a $3,500 Wilson Combat 10MM would be cheap. :D

7. luvmyRugers

luvmyRugers G&G Evangelist

SCCY CPX2 9mm made in FL. Caught it on sale for $139. Shot about 1 1/2 feet left of POA. Sent an email to Daytona HQ. Two days later, a new barrel shows up in the mail, no questions asked. Fixed the problem. I call that good customer service.

graybeard, huntr, Cyrano and 4 others like this.
  8. Becks42

Becks42 G&G Enthusiast

NW PA
    I had a SCCY CPX-2. Sent it back to manufacturer within the first month I believe. Claim they "fixed it", issue persisted intermittently. Sat in the box for a year. Just traded it in last month on a Hellcat. Much happier with that purchase.

luvmyRugers, graybeard, TXplt and 2 others like this.
  9. Dragunov

Dragunov G&G Evangelist

I have a nickel plated, American Bulldog pistol, from around the turn of the Century. We believe, it's a .32 cal black powder.

graybeard and ChaZam like this.

10. Heard a lot of nice things about that HC!

ChaZam likes this.
  11. FortyXDM

FortyXDM G&G Evangelist Staff Member

I don't think you can go wrong with any Springfield prodkuct.

TXplt likes this.
  12. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Had a buddy who bought an SAA M1911A1. Nothing but problems. Feeding hassles, poor acvuracy, and one of the detents fell out. Just a total lemon. Neither of us could get it to shoot properly or to POA. He traded it in on an RIA, and has been much happier. Moral is, ANY company can crank out a bad product.

shanebrews likes this.
  13. Kmcdowell

Kmcdowell G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Omaha NE
    I have a Heritage Rough Rider .22 WMR and it is a hoot to shoot. I just recently bought a Taurus TX22 (Made in Miami) that is a great full size 22 LR pistol that holds 15 rounds in the Magazine.

ItstheHOFF likes this.
  14. See if you can use a .22 LR cylinder in it. Cheaper ammo, but still a blast to shoot!

15. PaleHawkDown

PaleHawkDown G&G Evangelist

I have a decent top-break collection. I am fascinated with them. Just picked up a Lemon Squeezer a few weeks back.

blaster and shanebrews like this.
  16. So did I! Looks like this!

[​IMG]

Cyrano likes this.
  17. FortyXDM

FortyXDM G&G Evangelist Staff Member

Still stand behind my statement. Springfield armory has a well deserved reputation for manufacturing arms under their label. If you sell enough pet rocks it is might be possible to find an exception. Exceptions are frequently cited here.

LeftHandShooter likes this.

18. If you are looking hard for imperfection you will find it in anything/anywhere.

Some people will find an unusual single grain of sand by searching an entire beach.

I had two Springfield XD's, and both were flawless, but I traded then in on S&W M&P's. I needed left-hand friendly, and am deep down a Smith person. In other-word, I found an excuse to sell two perfectly good pistols (my son never forgave me) to get something that just came out I liked better - and am still justifying it today!

Of course I now have 2 SA 1911's and I LOVE them!

FortyXDM and LittleRascle like this.
  19. Jaison

Jaison G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Went from XDS to M&P Shield, too. Didn’t have any problems with the XDS or the XDSc, just drawn toward the Smiths more.

This was right before the Grip Zone thing.

TXplt and FortyXDM like this.