Bear annihilator...

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by CroMagnum, May 28, 2008.

1. CroMagnum

CroMagnum G&G Newbie

Been chasing brown bears for about a month now and I thought i'd post a couple pics of the rifle I'm toting. Marlin 1895XLR in 45-70.

2. Midas

Midas Chief Troll B' Gone Forum Contributor

That's a mighty fine bear gun

3. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

Nice rifle! Where in Alaska are you from??

4. No scope? LOL, well I guess if you need a scope to hit a bear....you may want to find a new sport.

Nice looking gun though.

5. CroMagnum

CroMagnum G&G Newbie

I live in Eagle River but have lived in Fairbanks, North Pole, Chugiak, Anchorage then finally settled down in Eagle River.

6. musicmaniac

musicmaniac G&G Enthusiast

Man I love leverguns! And that is one fine looking gun! Welcome aboard CroMagnum!

Last edited: May 28, 2008
  7. KingMusa45

KingMusa45 G&G Newbie

thats some mighty fine shooting iron.

8. ruffman

ruffman G&G Newbie

That is a fine shooting iron!!! I have an older straight 1895 45-70, that I topped with a Trijicon 1X4 with see thru iron sights... What load are you packing???

9. AKHunter

AKHunter G&G Newbie

That rifle is my "to get" list.

10. turner

turner Suspended

Tn
    Nothing against the .375H&H, .416, and .458 lovers, but I find the idea that an American lever gun is as good as it gets for harvesting ANY North American game very refreshing! Mine happens to be a .450, but the idea is exactly the same. Best of luck in your pursuit!

11. CroMagnum

CroMagnum G&G Newbie

I'm running 420 gr Garrett Hammerheads for the big bears and the 325 gr LeverRevolution's for everything else. She's wearing Wild West Guns rear ghost ring sight and a Williams Firesight front sight with a nickel front ramp. Also had the trigger adjusted to less than 3lbs and bead blasted the whole rig. Heading out tonight and will be back on Sunday, we're hiking into an area where we saw 6 brown bears and 1 huge black bear. Will post a report when I return.
    I also own a Winchester model 70 in 375 H&H that I had originally bought for the big browns but I like this levergun so much that the 375 stays at home when bear hunting. I'll use it (375) for moose and goats and possibly a bear if I happen to run into one while moose hunting.

Last edited: May 29, 2008
  12. SwedeSteve

Good luck on your hunt !!

Last edited: May 29, 2008
  13. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

I'll second That...Get them Moose Killers !!! LOL
    Rich

14. SwedeSteve

Just put some bacon in your buddy's fartsack at night. You should have some great shooting, LOL !!

15. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

What I've seen of it,the critters,bear,wolf and coyote,and in your area wolverine,don't kill their own as much as clean up after wouldbe hunters shoot but loose game and the critters just happen to get caught cleaning up and get accused of killing what wanabe hunters actually killed and never found. sam.

16. ruffman

ruffman G&G Newbie

An interesting point, but I can't agree entirely... Sure, hunters lose game especially those of us who throw sticks, and predators will take a free lunch if found. Of those you mention, wolves especially are quite good at bringing down game all on their own without our help... Your point begs the notion that meals come mostly during our hunting season??? I have seen the aftermath of a pack of coyotes who found a deer "yard" after some snow... 11 dead and partially eaten whitetails...

17. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

I agree that it happens but most are reported during hunting season because other times most people arent out there to report incidents.I definitly am not posting any personal sightings because I would not be running around in Alaska,or any western state after season to make a personal survey.I get mixed emotions on this subject but it is my belief that the do-gooders exagerate one way about how innocent the predators are and the hunters exagerate about how all preditors kill wantonly and waste healthy animals,and the truth lies somewhere in between.I believe in predator control,but not extermination.Definitly,I am not out there enough to give anything but my opinion,not guidelines.I would like to read the opinions of hunters that are out there in off season who have a right to judge the situation. sam.

18. offroader1994

offroader1994 G&G Newbie

19. ruffman

ruffman G&G Newbie

Last edited: May 31, 2008
  20. SwedeSteve

Mother Nature has her own set of rules. When we intefer, they don't work. Plain and simple. Destruction of habitat is probably the single-most problem. Then we go to work trying to "balance" poulations. That is where we start the "boom and bust" population cycles. I am sure Moose would say he has seen this as well, particularly in Moose. When the prey species are declining, we go after the predators and raise the limits. When prey are overpopulating, we raise their limits and it goes on and on. Ma Nature can bring in her own population limiting factors such as low birth rate and disease to "smooth out" these cycles if we let her. If you go into the deep wilderness , you don't see this. Only where man is "managing" the game. Thank God I live in Alaska! Where I can get to where WE don't manage the wild things I like to hunt and eat !!