Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
6,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

· Registered
10,671 Posts
I wish Fla. would re-open the bear season. they tried to aa couple of years ago but caved to the bunny huggers and closed it after a couple of days! we are overrun with bears and they are a dangerous nuisance! I applied for the hunt and got an e-mail from a young girl in NYC berating me for killing "mommy bears" ! I bit my tongue and wrote back about the facts about managing wildlife and that no "mommy bears" were allowed to be hurt. I also told her that I was only hunting for the bear that was chewing up my cabin and not a trophy hunter. I never got a reply.

· Registered
3,109 Posts
I wish Fla. would re-open the bear season. they tried to aa couple of years ago but caved to the bunny huggers and closed it after a couple of days! we are overrun with bears and they are a dangerous nuisance! I applied for the hunt and got an e-mail from a young girl in NYC berating me for killing "mommy bears" ! I bit my tongue and wrote back about the facts about managing wildlife and that no "mommy bears" were allowed to be hurt. I also told her that I was only hunting for the bear that was chewing up my cabin and not a trophy hunter. I never got a reply.
Its just like deer hunting. I only kill the old ones with big horns that go around at night and kill small puppies that bark at them. If you will just send them a video of two white tail bucks in a fight they will see how truly mean deer can be. Two years ago we had a video on our deer lease of a huge buck that was dragging another huge buck round with him, the second was dead of course. We never found the racks but knew they could not have gone far. These were deer that would dress 180-190 pounds, big boys where we hunt.

Maybe a few pictures of bears killing and eating the family dog....

· Wonderment :)
36,844 Posts
information: NC Bears; North Carolina grows BIG black bears, much bigger than the black bears in Canada. The state record AND world record heaviest black bear is an 880 pound bear taken in 1998 with a shotgun, also on a hound hunt, in Craven County

I’ve hunted eastern NC 😁 always staying alert 😜

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/mar/05/north-carolina-bear-hunting-activists-dismayA decades-long ban on bear hunting in parts of North Carolina has been overturned by the state’s wildlife resources commission, in a move that has sparked outcry from local residents and American animal rights groups.

The North Carolina commission voted to allow bear hunting in three bear sanctuaries, encompassing an area of 92,500 acres of mountainous forest in the southern US state. The sanctuaries, established to protect and preserve North Carolina’s black bear population, are set to open to hunters later in 2022, despite thousands of people signing a petition against the move.
Bear hunting has been banned in North Carolina’s Panthertown-Bonas Defeat, Standing Indian and Pisgah Bear sanctuaries since 1971. The number of black bears in the state has since grown from fewer than 1,000 to about 25,000, according to the wildlife commission

· Registered
3,109 Posts
information: NC Bears; North Carolina grows BIG black bears, much bigger than the black bears in Canada. The state record AND world record heaviest black bear is an 880 pound bear taken in 1998 with a shotgun, also on a hound hunt, in Craven County

I’ve hunted eastern NC 😁 always staying alert 😜

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/mar/05/north-carolina-bear-hunting-activists-dismayA decades-long ban on bear hunting in parts of North Carolina has been overturned by the state’s wildlife resources commission, in a move that has sparked outcry from local residents and American animal rights groups.

The North Carolina commission voted to allow bear hunting in three bear sanctuaries, encompassing an area of 92,500 acres of mountainous forest in the southern US state. The sanctuaries, established to protect and preserve North Carolina’s black bear population, are set to open to hunters later in 2022, despite thousands of people signing a petition against the move.
Bear hunting has been banned in North Carolina’s Panthertown-Bonas Defeat, Standing Indian and Pisgah Bear sanctuaries since 1971. The number of black bears in the state has since grown from fewer than 1,000 to about 25,000, according to the wildlife commission
For those that have been on the ground and seen a 450 pound black bear up close, they are pretty intimidating, even when you have a 44 mag in hand. Had to walk back past where I saw one moments before and it was near dark. You sound silly walking through the brush with a light in one hand and gun in the other singing loundly so the bear will hear you coming. Been there done, that. Same as on TV , Here bear, here bear, ...here bear, then stop and listen and so on for a couple hundred yards...which is a long way in the dark....

· Registered
5,336 Posts
Bear tags are an optional add-on during elk and/or deer season out here. I keep considering doing it, but I wouldn’t even know where to start hunting a bear. I know where they cross, but it’s just so danged rare for me to spot one.

· Premium Member
3,993 Posts
I have been hunt for 34 years. Seriously bear hunting for about 15 and in all of those years I have seen a grand total of 6 bears and that includes 2 that have been shot by guys in my hunting group. Here in Pennsylvania your not aloud hounds or bait. I have never seen a live bear in the woods during bear season.
When I worked for the state park we would see them all summer long but as soon as season would start there gone.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.