Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
me and a friend have been talking about going bear hunting sometime in the future and i am looking for a gun (i wont be getting it for a year at the earliest). i looked in to the savage model 11 in .308,is this a good gun for bear and game that size such as moose (i would like to hunt them sometime as well) and has anyone had the opportunity to hunt bears? how was it?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Gona need to know what type of bear you want to hunt
for some the 308 will work if you put it where it needs to go
i would suggest something more powerful possibly even a larger caliber

·
Registered
264 Posts
308 would probably work on a small black bear, the bigger species you will want a larger caliber. good kuck.
Mike

·
Registered
7,371 Posts
Spring Griz/ Brown bear hunting rifles?

Go with big slug's & range and 300Win mag is a bit lite in the slug dept, I knew a Bearing Air Mechanic"wont mention any names" who went spring bear hunting north of town and engaged a griz at 300 yds & put 3 in him, bear dropped only a 30 yards away from him."this is a whole story in it self"
Bear skulls are poor targets they are little, short, thick bone tube's with eye's mounted on top. best bet is hit em where they live "in the heart & lungs" or smash a shoulder or spine and hope like hell they drop on the first shot.
A .338Winchester is a safe choice.
I have heard of some the local fells useing smaller weapons "243, 7mm-08,303,270,30.06" they were confident at what they were doing and had back up. remember if you get one in them and the bear figure's its you hurting them they can cover allot of ground"Ive seen a 2 griz waste deep snow out by the Singealik River leave the beach & go up steep ravines up-hill faster than you can run on bare level ground."one of the few critters that can accelerate up hill"
You can have fells blow sunshine up your patootie and say it dont take much ta kill one & that's true.
Alwase figure for the worst and if & when the time comes you'll be prepaired.

·
Wonderment :)
32,014 Posts
coon dog

tippman7: Sir; I haven't hunted bear; but have hunted all around the ?boon and crocket? at one time record hunting area. [a mouthful]

Bears are big, bears are neat, bears eat berry's, bear eat meat. Bears are creatures that get 'even' when you hurt them.

Use what ever fire arm you decide on. I'm not an authority nor pretend to be on calibre.
What I can share; be responsible, be respectful of the intended game.

Practice until you are proficient and certain the quarry is mercifully taken.

Maybe shots, are wrong, recognize your limitations and stay within your limits.

I can further bore you with stories of my sleeping on the ground; out in the middle of woods and swamps, and didn't once think about them 'big ol bears' waiting for my 'coon' dog to come back.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
YES HAVE HUNTED BEARS, BLACK BEARS!, WHICH ARE RATHER SMALL COMPARED TO THE GRIZ AND YES ON THE EAST COST 308 IS FINE FOR LARGE GAME HERE, ELK MOOSE GRIZ I THINK I WOULD WANT SOMETHING A LITTLE BIGGER 06, 8MM ???

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
YES HAVE HUNTED BEARS, BLACK BEARS!, WHICH ARE RATHER SMALL COMPARED TO THE GRIZ AND YES ON THE EAST COST 308 IS FINE FOR LARGE GAME HERE, ELK MOOSE GRIZ I THINK I WOULD WANT SOMETHING A LITTLE BIGGER 06, 8MM ???
WHATS WITH THE CAPS!!!

ohh carry a .44 or .41 magnum with you, it would be a good idea

·
Banned
623 Posts
Agreed, and both are great rounds!... but will also suggest some calibers that would be excellent bear medicine and also work well on moose and elk and NOT give you excessive recoil. Nothing wrong with the suggestion of a .338WM, but some prefer a tad less recoil, so my 4 recomendations start at .338Fed and .358Win and also include the .35Whelen and .338/06. All have the power for even big bears, and they also won't whack you; when you like the rifle enough to want to shoot deer with it, as well. My pick of the litter is the .35Whelen, but all are fine, if not well known, rounds.
Best of Luck!

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
The .308 will take any black bear that walks but I think I'd want a little more oomph for grizz or brown bear. If it's all you can handle as far as recoil then get some ammo loaded with heavy for cartridge nosler partitions or TSX bullets and it should do the job.

Just remember you don't have to outrun the bear, just your hunting buddy!!!!!

·
Banned
623 Posts
The .308 will take any black bear that walks but I think I'd want a little more oomph for grizz or brown bear. If it's all you can handle as far as recoil then get some ammo loaded with heavy for cartridge nosler partitions or TSX bullets and it should do the job.

"""Just remember you don't have to outrun the bear, just your hunting buddy!!!!!
""""

I love it...and don't forget to carry a stick too!

·
Registered
508 Posts
I believe that a 308 is a bit light. I you are hunting any dangerous game, be sure to take something with enough power and then add about 10% for safety margin. I like my 378wby for bear, but there isnt much a 375 H&H wont drop.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
I'M HARD OF HEARING ???????

DON'T HATE ME CAUSE I HAVE A DISABILITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OHHH I DIDNT MEAN TO INSULT YOU

IS THIS ANY BETTER!

I believe that a 308 is a bit light. I you are hunting any dangerous game, be sure to take something with enough power and then add about 10% for safety margin. I like my 378wby for bear, but there isnt much a 375 H&H wont drop.
my cetme disagrees and so does the 2 liter dr. pepper bottle that shot up straight 6 feet

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Stalebiscuit, I have read a lot of your posts and would like to continue to do that, so if you decide to go hunt Griz with your CETME please take someone along who is a cool steady shot and carries a 45-70 or a 375 H&H.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts