close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bear stopping power

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by wodom, Mar 26, 2002.

1. wodom

wodom G&G Newbie

I'm looking for a weapon to carry while hiking in the backcountry of Montana. While I'll probably never have to use it, possible threats include bear (Griz and Black), moose, and cougar. Most people recommend a .44 mag (or a 480 or 454), but I find these guns to be too heavy for constant carry (this is purely for defense - I will not be hunting with this weapon). I believe I'm better off with a gun I can always carry than one that is back home in the safe.

I've been looking at the Taurus Total Titanium Tracker .41 mag as well as the .45 long colt. Does anyone have an opinion about which would be better (or if either are appropriate)? Thanks for your help!

2. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

The Mag should give you some nice knock down power but depending on where you get the ammo you could load the colt fairly warm and get great results as well

3. wodom

wodom G&G Newbie

Ahh... but that's just it: I'm concerned about using hot loads in a titanium gun - this isn't a 54 oz Ruger Redhawk - just a 25 oz Tracker. I should have specified - factory loads only.

Looking at ballistic charts I'd think the .41 mag would do a better job, but a person I talked with at Taurus suggested the .45 Long Colt - hence my confusion. Thanks.

4. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

Either will do just fine. The .41 is an underrated load. I have a friend who carries one on his excursions to Alaska. He says that the .41 works great on bears. He should know- he's shot 3 of them. Says he's never had to shoot them more than twice to stop them. HTH

5. Tinman

Tinman G&G Newbie

The difference in .41 and .44 is small, the recoil of these Ti mags is brutal. I suggest shooting one first. Also carry the Bear pepper spray.
    good luck
    Tinman
    :D

6. EddieGunnZ

EddieGunnZ G&G Newbie

I like the Taurus M66 .357mag w 4"bbl. Not to big not to heavy. and the recoil is not bad. Can get a follow-up shot off farily quickly. loaded with 158gr ammo of your choice. I think it's an awesome gun to have as a back-up hunting gun or out hiking in the backcountry! As for the weight? I personally don't think it's to heavy to carry all day. Just have to get use to it.

7. boneguru

boneguru G&G Newbie

Not to get off the subject but I think the big point is that no matter what you get, you probably ( and I mean anyone) wont be able to use it on a charging bear. they move at better than 30mph and accelerate like a cat. the best for bear is let them know you're there. bells, loud talking, don't pet cubs (VBG).
    but I've seen blackies move like lightning and I'm sure even a pro gunslinger couldn't move fast enough. even if you shot them the mass of bear would still crush from the momentum. LOL

8. Thats correct the best defense is to talk, make noise, or wear bells carry pepper spray , this way you have a chance to let the bear know you are there so you do not startel them. Best bear defense weapon a short 12ga loaded with slugs. sling it and carry on your back.

9. that is the sobering truth.

10. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

This is another case of "anything is better than nothing". Just understand that if you are in grizz country, you're gonna get that "anything" shoved up you, LOL !! Take a rifle or a 12ga, and get over it.

11. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

But IF I was in grizzly country
    And IF I only could have a handgun

I would want my .454 Casull Taurus Raging Bull.

12. a big bear that is hellbent on killing you is going to tear you into itty bitty meatballs and THEN succumb to it's injuries from the gunshot wounds.