Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1
Had an unexpected day to wander around the vales and glens of Bedford County today.

A few photos of the land I often hunt:

This is a waterfall not too far from the parking area.

The road usually taken. It splits about a quarter mile up and becomes two roads that diverge in the woods. I took the one less traveled by.

Starting to get into the scrub. Great cover for the smaller beasties. Lots of tracks throughout the brush.

Found an oddity in a flat area off of an old roadbed. Probably something related to the mining industry of the area.

This was taken at the foot of a slope

From right center, the remains of an old road bed. Hard to see unless someone is familiar with old roads in a forest.

The creek above is where I stopped and wandered back. The wind picked up and the temperature dropped. No sense in hunting anymore at that point.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, gents. Took several more photos, but, after review, they all look the same.

Wish I鈥檇 taken one of some squirrel tracks. Followed them to a degree and they just disappeared- just ended abruptly. No signs of struggle, no blood, no hair, no other tracks near them. Weird shenanigans.

Squirrel rapture, perhaps? Lol

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #8
Jaison,
Thanks for the photos.
I too hunt Bedford county a bit, mostly the Thaxton area.
Lots of game to be had, but patience required.
Here's one I took about 10 days ago. Had to score a doe since they've gone Earn-a-buck.
View attachment 158466
Thanks again,
Jimmy
Can't eat antlers, huh? Healthy deer, sir. Well done!

The photos in the OP were from the Day Creek area. You familiar with that part of the National Forest?

Premium Member
Enjoyed your snow-trek in the woods, Jaison, that is some fine woods for hunting and peaceful wanderings.....
Sooooo jealous of the snow hike! I hear we got 6-7" of snow in Floyd County. I cannot wait to move to my property there in a couple years. The deer are fairly consistent grazers on the backend of the property. Its gonna be Heaven on Earth for me.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #10
Enjoyed your snow-trek in the woods, Jaison, that is some fine woods for hunting and peaceful wanderings.....
Sooooo jealous of the snow hike! I hear we got 6-7" of snow in Floyd County. I cannot wait to move to my property there in a couple years. The deer are fairly consistent grazers on the backend of the property. Its gonna be Heaven on Earth for me.
Floyd is God's country, my friend. I've seen just about every critter Virginia has in those craggy mountains. It also has its own weather, too. LOL

I like to believe Bent Mountain has a certain magic that affects the surrounding land and flows through Floyd. For this ol' mountain boy, few places equal the beauty and richness of Floyd County.

Gun Toting Boeing Driver
That's some beautiful scenery there, jaison. Reminds me of my trek through central Pennsylvania. Glad you could be out and about; they've gotten lots of snow up there (in PA) lately; it was 63 here in TX lol.

One thing I miss when I'm away is how pretty it is.

Premium Member
Thanks, gents. Took several more photos, but, after review, they all look the same.

Wish I鈥檇 taken one of some squirrel tracks. Followed them to a degree and they just disappeared- just ended abruptly. No signs of struggle, no blood, no hair, no other tracks near them. Weird shenanigans.

Squirrel rapture, perhaps? Lol
Owl would be my guess.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #13
Another day afield for a couple hours. Took the truck on a trip to another hunting spot.

Not much traffic in these woods, though. The snow is pretty, but I鈥檓 looking to fill the freezer.

Coming up on a little creek in hopes of seeing some sign. Nothing but cool views, so far.

Reached the end of the hollow with nothing in the bag. Still, it was a good day with nobody around to bother with.

Oh! Missed this hollow tree earlier! Gonna check it out...

Nope. Nothing. No tracks or cut hulls. Looks to be a vacant critter house.

Hold up! There鈥檚 a log. Maybe there鈥檚 some squirrel sign on it? Has to be some crushed acorns or hickory, at least.

Sadly, there鈥檚 nothing. Little guys have abandoned this area.

The only tracks seen all day were these tiny bird feet...

And, Bambi.

Not sure why the established game trails remain untrodden, unless the abnormally low temperatures and snow have thrown them off.

Might try another place tomorrow, if time allows.

Global Warming Enthusiast
I am buying a 1/3 share of a hunting lease on 100 acres in S/W Virginny in Washington/Russell counties today Jaison, my BIL is buying the other available third with the final third being the landowner. Exclusive rights to hunt for us three... I was up there yesterday and there are tracks everywhere in the snow. Deer and 'yote's, maybe a bobcat. He's got maybe ten stands up and eight cameras going. Access from the highway a few miles west of Abingdon - Jeep or SxS only, pretty steep road up and good gates, well posted. $450 a share and I need to help plant some plots this spring and tend cameras one day a month. The property could use some sprucing up, but it won't take much. Small heated cabin/shed with cots and cooktop.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #16
I am buying a 1/3 share of a hunting lease on 100 acres in S/W Virginny in Washington/Russell counties today Jaison, my BIL is buying the other available third with the final third being the landowner. Exclusive rights to hunt for us three... I was up there yesterday and there are tracks everywhere in the snow. Deer and 'yote's, maybe a bobcat. He's got maybe ten stands up and eight cameras going. Access from the highway a few miles west of Abingdon - Jeep or SxS only, pretty steep road up and good gates, well posted. $450 a share and I need to help plant some plots this spring and tend cameras one day a month. The property could use some sprucing up, but it won't take much. Small heated cabin/shed with cots and cooktop.
That鈥檚 the ticket, Lance! Comfort when wanted, but enough work needed to know you鈥檝e been productive.

Those plots might bring in an elk or two. LOL

Still have some muzzleloader left for the bigger meat sacks, too. Think about it- you鈥檒l have grouse, turkey, rabbits, squirrel, and yotes. Sounds like a great place in a great area.

Good luck, brother!

Since 03-15- 2002
Nice Jaison
I wanted to get out for a little of that today. However, was picking up stuff in the yard and felt like a lightning bolt hit my lower back. When it settles down, normally does, I鈥檒l get on out there.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #18
Nice Jaison
I wanted to get out for a little of that today. However, was picking up stuff in the yard and felt like a lightning bolt hit my lower back. When it settles down, normally does, I鈥檒l get on out there.
Complete empathy, my friend. Mornings are like that for me- the shoulders and back, mostly.

Ironically, activity like hiking/hunting helps, as long as it鈥檚 not overdone. Dragging a deer would not be fun, but I can drag a squirrel. LOL

Good luck if you go, jerry.

Premium Member
Nice Jaison
Ouch, hope it's nothing serious Jerry.
Thanks for reminding me that I have a chiropractor appointment on the 30th.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts