close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bedding a 10/22 laminate stock

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by oddbawl, May 23, 2002.

1. Has anybody bedded the 10/22T laminate stock before? I was going to give mine a try, and I was wondering which spots need to be bedded.

2. dave375hh

dave375hh G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

Ohio
    Oddbawl,

Nornally just do the flat behind the barrel mounting clamp, where the stock bolt pulls it down. Tape the v-block to keep the bedding out of it, or you'll never get it apart. Also relieve the bolt hole so the bedding dosen't touch the bolt. I've done a couple that needed the entire barrel channel done also but that not normally needed. Luck.

Dave375

3. I bedded it where you suggested, and also where the receiver sits on the stock at the back (inside). I just trimmed the flash off of it, and the receiver's rock soild in there now- I've heard that the first 2" of the barrel should also be done... Any thoughts?

4. dave375hh

dave375hh G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

Ohio
    oddbawl,

I'd shoot it first to see if anything else needs done. Remember the prefered ammo can change with the bedding job, so try several brands/types. Most barrels shoot best fully floated.

Dave375

5. Trigger Happy

Trigger Happy G&G Newbie

10/22 bedding

Many people are very confused, or unsure of proper bedding techniques for the 10/22. What I have read so far in this thread compelled me to give you all some very helpful information....

The 10/22 is unique. It uses a single locking lug and the action flexes during cycling. If you bed the receiver, at some point it is likely to crack. NO THANKS!

Many years of shooting, tinkering, research, and yes, failure have led me to agree with a few experts out there...

First, remove the barreled action from the stock. Find the balance point of the barrel. THIS is the point that you bed the barrel to. No more, no less. Bedding the barrel any farther than up to the balance point will interfere with your harmonics. Anything less is not far enough. SIMPLE!

Anyone who tells you to bed the first 2, or 3, or 4 inches, is telling you what THEY did...NOT what YOU need to do. My barreled action does not have the same balance point as yours or anyone elses.

Make sure that the receiver is allowed to flex in its channel of the stock. If you want to further improve accuracy by reducing flex...UPGRADE THE RECEIVER WITH BETTER ONE. Tactical Solutions makes a wicked custom receiver. Also you will never go wrong with VQ.

My experience shows that the stock receiver is fine as the shooter usually is not capable of shooting better than the rifle anyway.

Yes there are other tricks...mods...whatever we like to call them at the time, but if you will concentrate on what I have shared with you, you WILL see vast improvement but keep in mind that you will want to experiment with different ammo all over again because you are now shooting an entirely different (better) setup. Your groups WILL shrink.

IMPORTANT: Your locking lug only needs 24 inch pounds of tightening. Accuracy is lost and gained right there alone.

Stock triggers suck

6. ZOBO

ZOBO Suspended

Welcome Trigger Happy!:)
    First post ...great post!
    Your method is a good one and will save a cracked receiver.
    I've always used a good quality in lb torque wrench for finding the sweet spot on all my 1022 stock screws.
    Money well spent.

ZOBO