Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again guys. It's been a while. I have seen it mentioned that you can improve the accuracy of the SKS(yugo in my case) by improving the bedding in the stock. I am wondering what you used and where you put it.

Mine is only giving me 10MOA with wolf ammo shooting with the front part of the stock rested on a sandbag at 50 yards right now. The rifling looks great, and it was hardly fired when I got it(and still is).

thanks

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,459 Posts
I tightened my SKS groups by putting some paper cardstock (ammo box flap works well) into the barrel channel of the lower fore end. Try different numbers of layers, depending on how much play there is. Many SKS's show some movement of the barrel at this point - lots of up & down play. The shim reduces it, and aids accuracy. You might also look into having the muzzle recrowned. This would require removing the Yugo's muzzle brake.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I think I have seen some stock bedding at my local gun shop. I am a tiny bit concerned about putting something flammable(more than the wood) as my stock bedding since it gets hot there. Re-crowning would probably cost more than the rifle because I dont have the tools and know how to do it myself.

·
Registered
234 Posts
If something flammable is smushed in there, it can't burn cuz it can't get oxygen quickly enough. The most it could do is smolder and smoke. No big deal. I might have to try that with mine. Sorry about yours. If that doesn't fix it, let these guys know, they have good suggestions.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,459 Posts
I don't burn through enough ammo so quickly as to get her that hot. :flame:

I've also been known to use adhesive-backed cork (from Wally World), strips of rubber or plastic - whatever seems to be best for the application.

A proper bedding with JB Weld, Acraglass, etc. would be best though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts