Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have been considering getting a 357 levergun and revolver(for a year, I hate being broke) because I am smitten by rifle/pistol combo's.

Got to looking around and saw the Ruger Carbines that take the same magazines as their pistols. I think I want one. What do you guys think about them? Granted they're not 500 yard battle rifles but I can't see that far anyway. Besides I doubt my shoulder would allow those anymore. :( I think they'd be a decent defense gun and an awesome plinker. Which do you like better? 9MM or 40S&W? I bet a 357 SIG would sizzle out of a carbine.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like the looks of the Storm but hate the way the 92 fits in my hand. I've thought about it but holding the Beretta 92 is like holding a 2x4.

·
Registered
354 Posts
One question I would ask myself, if I were in your place, would be what I thought about the Ruger pistols. Not the pistol/carbine combination, but by themselves.
If you like the pistols, the carbine makes a lot more sense. If you hate them (and a lot of people do), then you would be better off looking at other carbines.
I like .40 a lot more than 9mm. I do not know what the ballistics would be for them through a carbine, however, so that would be something to check.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Ducktape, about the Beretta: they came out with the Px4 Storm , the pistol to match the carbine. I haven't seen one but online, so I couldn't say how it would feel or handle. Just food for thought.

I did handle a Ruger PC9 or 40 at a gunstore. My god it's tiny! I believe the Ruger is an inch or two shorter than an M1 carbine. The weight is probably similar.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
I would love a 40 cal carbine by Ruger. I hot a 9mm once and it was great. Course higher cap mags are available for the 9mm, and a carbine really boost's the 9's performance, so it may be worth using that caliber so that I didnt get mags confused with my 40 cal Steyr.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Speaking of steyr, BRG3, I know you're in love. I have to hijack this thread real quick. I was lookee-no-touchee at an M40 and an M9 yesterday, and am very seriously considering one. How does the safety work?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've heard they feel similar to the M1 carbine. That's another big plus. Those are fun guns. I bet the 40 S&W FMJ would be more effective at 50 yards than 30 carbine FMJ.

I had a friend who had the Beretta Storm who really liked his. I don't know, it's a little weird looking but that's just me.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Safety on the M series is interesting. Easy to get the hang of though. You activate it by pulling downward on two buttons on the side of the frame. You deactivate it by pushing upward with your trigger finger (the easier part.) The hardest to teach people, but one of the easiest to deactivate. Like any safety, you don't have to use it if you don't want to. You can leave the safety off and it'll be like a Glock or XD.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
I really like my Ruger pc40 Handles well and feeds smoothly, so far anyway.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Don't forget the Marlin Camp Carbines, the 9mm uses S&W mags and the .45 uses 1911 mags, blow back operation, the .45 of mine had no recoil, none, like shooting a .22 rimfire auto loader. I had to modify the bolt hold open to operate like the slide stop on the 1911, it locks open on the last shot but I had to modify it so I could push the bolt hold up externally.

·
Registered
18,982 Posts
I had a Ruger PC9,accurite,reliable,small but heavy and a pain to take down for cleaning,I now have a Beretta CX4 storm in 9mm,accurite,reliable,smaller,lighter,and a snap to take down without any tools and for lefties it can be completly reversed,or just the ejection for those used to operating the standard fire arm.
P/S,the Beretta operates much more smoothly than the Ruger,but then again,it IS more expensive,but it does have a chrome lined barrel too.
PP/S,the Beretta is so light and well balanced that it can be held and shot with one hand like a pistol.I also like the peep sight,one can flip it from short to long range.It looks like a space gun,but one has to handle it to really appreciate it,imho it is top drawer in pistol caliber carbines and tops for home defense in your favorite caliber. :right:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts